The San Francisco School
SPANISH TEACHER (Either Elementary or Middle School Level)
Starts August 2017
Overview of Position
The San Francisco School seeks a teacher of Spanish to inspire students with a multicultural, unbiased and meaningful curriculum. We seek someone interested in developing speaking and writing fluency of middle school and/or elementary school students. This position is full-time (100%).
Teachers at The San Francisco School collaborate extensively to create an integrated multidisciplinary program where reasoning and expression are taught across all subject areas. This collaboration occurs regularly between teachers of Spanish as well as interdisciplinary work with one goal of targeting students’ awareness of social justice and equity issues and developing students’ perspective of diversity and practice of inclusivity as themes across all grade levels.
Teachers share in overall development and management of the program. All teachers come together on a regular basis to examine student work, discuss best teaching practices, and hone professional skills. The position also includes serving as an advisor to a small group of middle school students, leading electives or student workshops at various times of the year, attending an overnight outdoor education trip, writing report cards/comments, conferencing with parents, and maintaining consistent communication with the parents of the students in the class.
We seek a talented teacher who actively inspires and engages students in not only learning Spanish, but are equally committed to working in a collaborative environment. Candidates must be completely fluent including a strong knowledge of Spanish grammar and vocabulary. The ideal candidate would have training in second language instruction. Candidates should also be well-read, with a strong knowledge of Spanish/Latin American culture and literature, with successful middle or high school teaching experience.
- The candidate should have a Bachelor's degree in education or a subject area field, a teaching certificate or credential or equivalent successful experience teaching in classroom settings, preferably in a diverse, multicultural school community. Preference will be given to candidates with a Master’s degree and beyond.
- Proven cultural competence in a community committed to issues of diversity, equity and social justice.
- Demonstrated academic and multicultural competency in classroom pedagogy, including innovative teaching and recognition of and appropriate response to various learning profiles
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated experience with the ability to communicate effectively and respectfully with all constituents in an evolving multicultural, economically diverse school ?environment, including faculty, staff, administration, parents, and students. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Ability to supervise, evaluate, and mentor students in ways relevant to this commitment
- Demonstrated professional behavior, including discretion, judgment and integrity
- Commitment to the continuing development of relevant professional knowledge, skills and abilities, particularly as related to academic and cultural competencies
- All prospective employees must be able to clear a background check and TB screening
Overview of School
The San Francisco School is an independent school, pre-K through eighth grade, with a commitment to a multicultural and inclusive community. Suitably characterized by one parent as an “urban school with a village atmosphere”. The school embraces San Francisco’s ethnic, cultural, and economic diversity. Our progressive approach to education encourages children to develop self-reliance, solid academic skills, creativity, and a sense of social justice. Students learn to think like disciplinarians in a field, consider big and central ideas, and can find and develop their own passions. They graduate academically prepared, inquisitive, courageous, and eager for the challenges ahead.
Interested candidates may apply by sending a resume, cover letter, references - in one document - to email@example.com (Please also note where you heard about this position). In the subject line please note: Attn: ES/MS Spanish Teacher.
DO NOT USE THE NAIS SITE TO APPLY - attach your one pdf to an email please.
The San Francisco School
Attn: Elem/Middle School Spanish Position
300 Gaven Street, SF, CA 94134
e-mail document to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out our website: www.sfschool.org
The San Francisco School is committed to increasing staff diversity, both to reflect the high value SFS places on a multicultural understanding, and for the direct benefit of each student.