First Grade Homeroom Teacher
Gilman School seeks a First Grade Homeroom Teacher to begin August, 2017. This is a full time school-year teaching position, reporting to the Head of Lower School and the Head of School. Gilman Lower School is a nurturing, diverse community serving boys at the elementary age. Generally, class sizes are 14-18 boys per class. Emphasis is placed on developing a relationship with each boy that encourages his social, emotional, and academic growth. Our boys’ unique gifts are celebrated, while building young men of character is prioritized.
The duties of a Homeroom Teacher include:
- Teach all homeroom subjects including math, language arts, writing, and social studies.
- Work with grade level team to identify, plan, and evaluate learning goals and best assessment methods for the curriculum.
- Collaborate with resource teachers on ways to integrate the grade level curriculum with other disciplines.
- Build healthy relationships with students.
- Communicate with parents through written reports at designated times throughout the year.
- Cultivate relationship with parents throughout the year and meet as needed with parents of individual students.
- Foster a safe and positive learning environment for students.
- Participate in all Lower School faculty meetings and serve on committee(s).
- Fulfill supervisory duties before and/or after school and at recess.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have 3-5 years’ experience as a homeroom teacher at the elementary level;
- Have a Bachelor’s degree; Masters is preferred;
- Demonstrate an ability to motivate young students and inspire a love for learning;
- Have demonstrated success working collaboratively with colleagues;
- Show passion for own learning and professional growth;
- Reflect on own teaching and performance; and
- Approach teaching with energy, imagination, and humor.
Those interested in applying for this position should apply online by going to the following link:
Gilman School Mission:
Gilman is a diverse community dedicated to educating boys in mind, body, and spirit through particular emphasis upon academic excellence, athletic participation and aesthetic appreciation. Gilman seeks to produce men of character and integrity who have the skills and ability to make a positive contribution to the communities in which they live and work.
Gilman School is an equal opportunity employer and educator who fully and actively supports equal access for all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability status, Genetic Information or Testing, Family and Medical Leave, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We prohibit retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint, or otherwise oppose discrimination.