Reports To: Head of School and Head of Upper School
Position Type: Full-Time, Faculty, Exempt
Established in 1920, Bentley School is a K-12 coeducational, independent day school located on two campuses in Oakland and Lafayette. Bentley is an inclusive community that shares a vision of transformational learning and respect for the individual. Bentley seeks a full-time Chemistry and Biology teacher at the Upper School campus in Lafayette. The Science Department at Bentley is an innovative, collaborative faculty who seeks a candidate to complement the strengths of the department and to add his or her own expertise and background to provide additional breadth to the curriculum.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Teaching three sections of Chemistry and one section of Biology honors.
- Attending regular Chemistry and Biology team meetings and weekly Science department meetings.
- Participating in various aspects of student life at Bentley such as advising clubs, coaching, or working with student organizations.
- Degree in Chemistry or Biology and/or a related field that requires significant coursework in each discipline
- Experience teaching Biology and Chemistry
- Experience in an interdisciplinary environment with an emphasis on group collaboration and use of technology
- Ability and willingness to work with students in large and small group settings using multiple teaching methods to reach a broad range of students
- Desire to continually examine one’s practice with the goal of improving student learning
- Commitment to issues of diversity, leadership, inclusion, and equity. Candidates who reflect the broad range of diversity of the Bay Area are encouraged to apply.
- An advanced degree in Chemistry or Biology and/or a related field that requires significant coursework (e.g., M.A., M.S., or Ph.D. in biological or chemistry fields)
- A passion for working with young people
- A desire to collaborate in a dynamic community of teachers
- Excellent interpersonal, writing and communication skills
- Experience in working with high school or college age students in an academic setting
- Experience in innovative course design, planning, implementation, and assessment
Bentley School is an equal opportunity employer and seeks rich diversity among faculty and administration. The School offers competitive compensation and benefits.
How to Apply
Please send a letter of interest, CV/resume, and a statement of teaching philosophy that addresses both your approach to working with students and how you approach your classroom practice. A list with the names and contact information of three (3) references should also be included. Materials may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Chemistry/Biology Teacher” in the subject line. No phone calls please.