POSITION: Middle School English Teacher
ORGANIZATION: Peabody School
LOCATION: Charlottesville, Virginia
ORGANIZATIONAL BACKGROUND: Peabody School seeks an experienced, creative, energetic, collaborative educator to serve as its middle school English teacher beginning in August 2017. Responsibilities would include teaching 6th, 7th, and 8th grade English, advising, and participating fully in the elective and extracurricular programs of the school.
Peabody School was founded in 1994 to “serve the needs of academically advanced children of all backgrounds by promoting cognitive, social, and emotional development for each child at a rate commensurate with his or her ability, while providing a foundation for students to become lifelong learners.” This mission is best embodied in our motto: Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
Peabody enrolls 200 students in grades PreK - 8th grade, and embraces the whole child using a rigorous academics program, including extensive instruction in fine and performing arts, world languages, technology, and physical education. The School celebrated its 20th anniversary in 2014 with the opening of the Batten Building, which contains the expanded middle school wing, gymnasium, and performing arts space.
In 2016-17, Peabody employs 47 full-time and full-time equivalent staff members, with an annual budget of approximately $3.2 million. The School is located just minutes from downtown Charlottesville, off Avon St. Extended, near the Mill Creek and Foxcroft neighborhoods.
BASIC FUNCTION: The ideal candidate will have at least three years of experience teaching English, a strong academic background, a passion for teaching middle school students, the ability to develop student interest and enthusiasm for the subject matter, and the acumen to provide challenging and skillfully differentiated instruction for gifted and intellectually advanced students. Additionally, strong and demonstrable skill in teaching academic writing is essential.
- Teaching 6th, 7th, and 8th grade English, advising students, and participating fully in the elective and extracurricular programs of the school
- Developing analytical readers, critical thinkers, structured writers, confident speakers, and knowledgeable grammarians
- Building students’ reading comprehension and interpretive skills
- Facilitating workshop format writing experiences to develop authors who produce authentic, structured writing with a focus on ideas, organization, word choice, conventions, voice, and sentence fluency
- Teaching mini-lessons in a small group setting to build strength in these specific skills
- Differentiating instruction in a skillful, fluid, and effective manner
- Encouraging students to see writing as a continual process and to reflect upon their work
- Collaborating with faculty members and administration on a wide variety of projects
QUALIFICATIONS AND CHARACTERISTICS: Qualified candidates should have an understanding and the ability to respond to the distinct needs of middle school students as well as:
- A bachelor’s degree in Middle School or Secondary English Education or an English, writing, or literature related degree. Advanced degrees preferred.
- 3-5 years of teaching experience, preferably at the middle school level
- A desire to work with gifted and academically advanced students
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- An interest in academic writing and the ability to convey research writing skills to students
- An in-depth understanding of traditional grammar
- A love of literature and a passion for teaching students to develop their own appreciation
- An understanding of best practices for teaching content area skills: reading comprehension, literary analysis, written response to literature, argumentative writing, and grammar application
- Ability to manage a classroom while pulling small groups to differentiate instruction
- Familiarity with independent school culture
- Knowledge of and desire to utilize authentic, age-appropriate technology integration
- Creative, energetic, and positive approach to teaching
- Ability and willingness to customize instruction within an established curricular framework
COMPENSATION: A competitive compensation package is offered.
START DATE: Anticipated August 2017
1232 Stoney Ridge Road
Charlottesville, VA 22902
Peabody School is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.