Position Summary: The Business Manager is accountable for the overall financial management of the school. The Business Manager is responsible for budgeting and financial analysis, banking and investing, financial and accounting operations, risk management and insurance. The Business Manager oversees human resource functions and ensures compliance with all applicable state and federal laws. The Business Manager, with the Head of School, develops written policies and procedures in the employee handbook and parent handbooks. She/he helps maintain a respectful, positive and cooperative atmosphere, shares responsibility for the safety of all community members, and cooperates in the administration of Casa di Mir’s school policies and procedures. The Business Manager supervises and collaborates with the front office employees to ensure efficient office operations and excellent customer service.
Specific tasks include, but are not limited to:
Budgeting and Finance
• Review and analyze financial statements and prepare relevant reports for Finance Committee and Board.
• Produce annual budget to align with school’s mission and goals in cooperation with the Head of School and Finance Committee.
• Create strategic financial plan with Finance Committee to ensure the long term health and sustainability of the school.
• Participate in the development of school strategy, providing recommendations, financial analysis, projections, and other data to inform the process.
• Manage, evaluate and restructure bank accounts as necessary, ensuring adequate cash flow, and monitoring investments.
• Oversee school business functions, including tuition and billing collection, accounts payable, financial aid, vendor contracts, payroll, accounting and reporting, regulatory reporting and compliance and other business administration activities.
• Monitor internal controls and safeguard confidential information.
• Work with the school’s tuition management company, review tuition reports and delinquency reports, notify and work with delinquent families to bring accounts current.
• Interface with bookkeeper, CPA, CFO and Head of School on accounting and finance; coordinate annual tax filing with CPA.
• Chair the Financial Aid Committee; develop and distribute financial aid materials.
Insurance and Risk Management
• Maintain appropriate levels of insurance to protect the property and cover the liability of the school.
• Ensure that the Illness and Injury Prevention program is communicated to employees and conforms to current health and safety legislation.
• Ensure mandatory training is provided to employees.
• Manage and oversee human resource functions;
• Oversee employment agreements, compensation and benefits administration, including medical, dental and 403B.
• Coordinate with the Head of School to develop effective hiring strategies, place recruitment ads, and sit on hiring committee.
• Create, review and revise job descriptions. Oversee hiring process including offer letters, background checks, and completion of required employment forms.
• Process payroll on a semi-monthly basis and ensure that state and federal payroll reports are filed.
• Maintain personnel files in compliance with applicable regulations.
• Oversee termination procedures and respond to unemployment claims.
• Ensure compliance with applicable state and federal labor laws, IRS, and INS regulations.
• Review and revise Employee Handbook annually or as needed.
Communications & Enrollment
• Collaborate with Marketing Committee in advertising and marketing efforts.
• Create annual school calendar with Head of School.
• Coordinate enrollment and re-enrollment procedures and implementation with Admissions Director.
• Other responsibilities and duties as directed by the Head of School.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.