St. George’s Episcopal School is searching for a knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and creative Physical Education Teacher for the 2017-2018 school year. St. George’s is seeking candidates who demonstrate a growth mindset and possess strong verbal and written communication skills. Candidates who are organized, patient, flexible, warm, energetic and engaging are likely to be successful team members at St. George’s.
St. George’s is a preschool to eighth grade independent school serving 370 students and employing approximately 100 faculty and staff. At St. George’s, each child grows academically, creatively, emotionally, and spiritually, while developing a sense of self-worth and moral responsibility. We recognize that no two children are alike; each one possesses a fascinating combination of gifts and challenges. We serve a blend of learning profiles in a family-like atmosphere of care and concern with a highly trained and dedicated faculty. Together, we embody perseverance, integrity, compassion and respect -- values that foster lifelong learning and success.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 2+ years of working with children (preferably in an educational setting)
- Experience coaching a team sport at the Elementary or Middle School level
- Plan and instruct physical education classes for Pre-Kindergarten to 8th grade students.
- Work collaboratively with the Physical Education team and co-teach lessons.
- Evaluate and assess student performance in physical education classes.
- Coach a minimum of two seasons in the athletic department.
- Communicate effectively with students, faculty, and parents about students’ progress.
- Maintain good professional and collaboratively relationships with colleagues.
- Commit to personal growth through active participation in professional development.
Candidates must be committed to using educational practices such as:
- Warm and nurturing character that supports the applicant’s ability to connect with children and their families
- Dedication to social emotional and character development of each child
- Ability to set learning goals which are integrated within a child-centered curriculum for each child, develop appropriate challenging curriculum to meet the needs of the students, and provide a variety of ongoing assessments
- Ability to continually listen to children, reflect, and document children's process and their work
- Exceptional communication skills which prove effective in communicating with parents and establishing a team approach with the child’s family
- Understands the academic, social, and emotional needs of elementary-aged students
- Knowledge of engaging and innovative teaching practices in physical education
- Ability and willingness to differentiate instruction for students
- Experience with Responsive Classroom approach preferred
Work with Teaching Team
- Experience working in a teaching team; positive attitude and eager to work collaboratively with peers and colleagues in developing curriculum and planning for instruction
- A desire to respond to and initiate the solving of problems through clear and open conversation
- Open to feedback and able to take risks
- Highly interested in pursuing professional development opportunities and dedicated to lifelong learning and possessing a growth mindset
St. George’s Episcopal School is committed to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, political affiliation, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local discrimination laws.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter detailing their educational philosophy and resumé to Director of Middle School, Mrs. Romaine McCarthy, firstname.lastname@example.org and Director of Lower School, Dr. Emma Whitman, email@example.com.