Compass High School is a small private school for students with learning differences in San Mateo. Compass was founded three years ago and is in a period of enrollment growth. Compass is a fully accredited, college-preparatory high school that specializes in individualized support and remediation, cutting-edge technology, and experiential learning. Our signature program is the Essential Skills Program, which provides intensive remediation to address the underlying learning challenges of our students. We employ a highly skilled faculty trained to work with students who learn differently and we value educational innovation and a nurturing family environment.
FTE: Part-time or Full-time
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary: Commensurate with experience, an attractive benefits package included.
A private office will be provided which may be used to see students as part of a private practice.
Start date: August, 2017
The Educational Therapist collaborates with the school’s senior leadership and faculty and is responsible for overseeing student support and remediation provided through the Essential Skills Program. The Educational Therapist will teach a Reading Skills class and a Study Skills class as well as provide one-to-one educational therapy to a small caseload of students. The Educational Therapist is also charged with training and coaching classroom teachers. The school is seeking a dynamic and collaborative Educational Therapist to advance the mission and goals of the School and to seek out and implement innovative, research-based instructional practices for students with learning differences.
- Plan and implement reading remediation in a small group setting for students with Dyslexia and other reading disorders;
- Plan and implement an individualized, supportive study hall for a small group of students with learning differences that provides direct instruction in executive functioning skills;
- Provide individual educational therapy to a caseload of students who require intensive support to be successful in high school classes;
- Provide professional development to teachers through workshops, coaching, and team-teaching;
- Utilize assessment data to plan instruction and to document progress;
- Actively pursue professional development and seek out curriculum and instructional practices to enhance the School’s program;
- Participate in regular staff meetings, as required;
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Finds resonance with Compass High School’s mission and philosophy;
- Certification as an Educational Therapist, an advanced degree (e.g. in Reading or Special Education), or a teaching credential;
- Training in reading remediation, preferably an Orton-Gillingham-based reading program;
- Experience working with students with specific learning disabilities;
- Experience working with adolescents;
- Familiarity with educational technology, assessment, and research-based curriculum;
- Experience providing consultation and training to educators or other professionals;
- Excellent communication skills: clear, articulate, professional in speaking and writing;
- Is an enthusiastic self-starter with a can-do attitude.
Interested candidates should submit their c.v./resume as well as a letter of introduction that addresses their interest in Compass High School and the position via email to email@example.com, subject line Educational Therapist
To learn more about Compass High School visit www.compasshigh.org. Send questions about the position to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you.