Bridges Baltimore is in the business of ensuring the long term success of motivated elementary school aged youth in Baltimore City. It does this through an innovative 10+ year long program that supports students from elementary school through college and into their careers. Program efforts help students/families (a) find success / navigate obstacles in school, (b) become well-rounded people, and (c) prepare for college and career opportunities.
The Program currently provides year-round support and programs to 200+ Baltimore City youth ages 9-18+ via its sites at St. Paul’s School (est. 1993) and at Gilman School (est. 2014). Over the last three years, Bridges participants have a 100% high school graduation rate and 80%+ college matriculation rate. We are working hard to formalize post-high school programs - ensuring that students complete their degrees and find right-fit careers.
Baltimore is loaded with wonderful young people who would thrive with the support Bridges provides. Reaching many more of them is a major priority. We have a vision of building multiple sites in Baltimore and working with 1000+ Baltimore City youth.
The Program also provides extensive volunteer and growth opportunities for high school students in the St. Paul’s and Gilman communities. This year, we project 170+ high school aged volunteers (9,000+ hours) working with Bridges’ youngest students. We believe the relationships built between students and volunteers are key to a more cohesive and connected Baltimore.
The Opportunity – Communications Specialist
The role of Bridges Communications Specialist is designed for a motivated professional who has strong journalistic and communications skills and wants to put them to use for a mission driven organization. The ideal candidate:
- Loves writing / story-telling and can create high quality video content
- Is inquisitive, personable, likes to learn, effectively manages time, and thrives with autonomy
- Seeks an opportunity to grow into a role and join a fast paced / growing organization
The Specialist will be responsible for Bridges’ external and internal communication functions:
- External roles include grant writing, video story-telling, quarterly newsletters, social media, public relations, promotional materials, website management, and communications strategy
- Internal roles include optimizing on-boarding / training materials for staff, volunteers, and partners, helping program team position work to families, students, and volunteers, and coordinating communications with independent school communications offices
This is a full-time role, beginning in late June, 2017. The Specialist will report to the Executive Director and be based at Bridges’ location at St. Paul’s School (Brooklandville, MD).
Key Roles and Responsibilities – Communications Specialist
Writing: Grants, Appeals, Reports, Presentations
- Writing annual funding appeals, grant requests, reports, and presentations
Video: Filming, Production, Editing
- Conceptualizing, planning, and executing stories on the program, students, and partners
Quarterly Email Newsletters: Conceptualizing and Creating
- Conceptualizing and creating content and templates for a quarterly email newsletter
Social Media: Strategy, Execution
- Developing social media strategy on Facebook and Instagram and working with staff to create content / enhance both platforms on an on-going basis
- Communications Strategy: Working with E. Director on annual strategy for the organization
- Public Relations: Coordinating public relations pieces
- Website: Content creation for website re-design; routine content updates
- Coordination: Supporting / developing internal communications efforts inside of host schools
- Annual Brochure & Report: Managing the design and execution of both pieces
- Archive: Maintaining and managing a photo / video archive
Desired Background – Communications Specialist
Education / Work
- An undergraduate degree; minimum of 3 years work with a track record of success
- Relevant work experience includes, but is not limited to, digital journalism, print journalism, communications officer, video/film production, graphic design, and grant writing
- Conceptualizing a story, writing a script, coordinating and performing a shoot, interviewing individuals, video editing
- Writing effective communications for different audiences (specialist will write for individual supporters, foundations, corporations, program partners, and families)
Simple Graphic Design
- Creating simple brochures and promotional materials
- Developing, executing, and improving communications strategy
Technology & Business Applications
- History of learning how to use and incorporate new technology as needed
- Experience with In-Design, Photoshop, FinalCut Pro, social media, website
First-Year Commitment / Salary and Benefits: Communications Specialist
- The first year commitment is June 2017 – August 2018.
- Competitive salary and benefits
To Apply: Communications Specialist
- Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4/24/17 at 3 pm.
- Resume with a brief cover letter
- Video you have managed from start to finish (under 4 minutes)
- A piece of writing that could demonstrate journalistic and/or communications skills
- Candidates will be reviewed and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
Physical Requirements: Communications Specialist
Physical demands while performing this job include:
- Hearing: Adequate to perform job duties in person and over the telephone.
- Speaking: Must be able to communicate clearly in person and over the telephone.
- Vision: Visual acuity adequate to perform job duties
- Requires bending, reaching, repetitive hand movements, standing, walking, squatting and sitting.
To Learn More about Bridges
Other Recent Mentions In the Press
Channel 2 News (August 2015) – 6 minute piece on Bridges, featuring two students in the program: http://www.abc2news.com/news/region/baltimore-city/program-helping-baltimore-city-kids-bridge-gap-to-success
Baltimore Fishbowl (August 2015) – An article on Bridges and other outreach initiatives in Baltimore independent schools: http://www.baltimorefishbowl.com/stories/partnering-to-build-a-better-baltimore/
CBS local (Summer 2014) – 2 minute snapshot of a bridges high school student working at RBC Wealth management for the summer via Bridges - http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2014/07/30/bridges-at-st-pauls-school-program-guides-city-kids-to-success/
ABC local (Spring 2014) – 2 minute snapshot of a high school student from St. Paul’s who volunteers in Bridges: http://www.abc2news.com/sports/athlete-of-the-week-liam-anderson