Position type: Full time, exempt
Hours: Monday-Friday, 7:45 a.m. - 3:45 p.m. (unless otherwise specified)
Reports to: Head of Early Childhood
The EC/LS Art Teacher is a specials area teacher who is responsible for teaching art curriculum to early childhood and lower school students (preschool through grade 3). Curriculum elements may include: a three-year curriculum rotation of art appreciation for preschool, prekindergarten, and kindergarten students and utilizing the Art is Fundamental curriculum for grades 1st - 3rd in preparation for the 4th-8th curriculum that follows in middle school.
- Plan and execute art appreciation classes once per week for preschool, prekindergarten, and kindergarten students including preparation & implementation of weekly lessons, class setup and clean-up, gathering of supplemental materials, etc.
- Plan and execute art foundations lessons for first, second, and third grade students twice per week including preparation & implementation of bi-weekly lessons, class setup and clean-up, gathering of supplemental materials, etc.
- Organize and maintain portfolios for each child, including end of year enclosures explaining weekly lessons.
- Plan and coordinate curriculum-related field trips or guest artists when appropriate.
- Develop, update and document art curriculum as needed.
- Order and purchase supplies as needed as well as keeping inventory of storage cabinets.
- Maintain communication with parents (website, weekly explanations of lessons, notes with projects, etc.)
- Maintain communication with parents, faculty, staff and students.
- Manage parent volunteers.
- Provide trimester report cards.
- Participate in end of year summative review with Division Head.
- Attend faculty, staff, and division meetings.
- Attend workshops and other professional development opportunities to continue to grow professionally in the areas of gifted and art education.