School Psychologist in Residence
The Purnell School seeks a dynamic, experienced and innovative individual to serve as the school’s full-time Psychologist in Residence beginning May 15, 2017.
The School Psychologist is an integral member of the Learning and Wellness Department, which consists of the Academic Dean, Learning Specialists, School Counselor and Dean of Students. S/he will collaborate with faculty, administrators, staff, and health professionals to support and promote a culture of personal and institutional wellness at Purnell. With an emphasis on and understanding of how social, emotional, intellectual, physical, and spiritual health are related to teaching and learning, the school Psychologist provides support to students to help create a safe, healthy and supportive learning environment for all students. S/he will live on campus in faculty housing within a dormitory in order to facilitate the therapeutic support of students in our program.
- Collaborates with administrators, teachers, parents, agencies, and outside professionals in planning to meet the needs of individual students
- Coordinates with administrators and other teaching staff members to ascertain individual student's strengths and needs
- Conducts individual, group or facilitative therapy for students whose diagnosed problems would benefit from behavior modification or differentiated instruction
- Assists in the development and implementation of comprehensive behavioral plans for students
- Determines appropriate level of service to meet adaptive needs of students
- Establishes and maintains professional relationships with school personnel and professionals in the community.
- Enables students to cope more successfully with school, home and environmental stressors
- Conducts focused psycho-educational evaluations resulting in academic, social, and behavioral recommendations and supports the potential need for a more comprehensive private evaluation
- Assists parents/guardians in gaining a better understanding of student's strengths and weaknesses
- Serves as a liaison between the school, families and community providers
- Serves as a resource and consultant on mental health and child psychology; conducts in-service programs as requested
- Participates in team meetings and consults regarding the compilation of documentation for student records
- Maintains accurate and complete records
- Possesses knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students
- Attends selective professional development conferences/seminars to further enhance professional knowledge
- Two days per week of evening responsibilities, including dorm supervision as dorm parent and meal coverage.
- Flexible daily and evening availability to support students.
- Approximately ten weekends during the school year of residential supervision, including dorm coverage and weekend trips. This does not include mandatory weekends, such as registration and family weekends.
- Hosting a daily lunch table with the students.
The Purnell School is a creative and progressive boarding and day school for girls who learn differently. Our community of research-dedicated faculty and staff serve grades 9-12 and post-grad students who strive to think outside the box and dance to their own beat. The Purnell School transforms the lives of young women with learning differences. For girls with dyslexia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia, ADHD, executive functioning, auditory processing disorder, and other language and attention-based learning differences, we are a haven. For girls with school and home-based learning challenges who thrive in a small learning environment, we are their match.
Purnell is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to diversity in community and does not discriminate on the basis of color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, or sexual orientation. Purnell is a nonsectarian independent school located in Pottersville, NJ, 20 miles south west of New York City. To learn more about Purnell, please visit our website www.purnell.org.
Please submit letter of interest, c.v., and list of at least 3 references to Anne Glass, Academic Dean, at firstname.lastname@example.org.