The Gunston School, an independent, non-sectarian, college preparatory day school (9-12) of approximately 190 students located in Centreville, MD, has an immediate opening for a Director of Global Programs. Located on a beautiful 35-acre campus on Maryland’s Eastern Shore, Gunston is approximately 30-minutes from Annapolis, and one hour from Washington, DC and Baltimore. This is a full-time, 12-month administrative position.
- Responsible for social, emotional, and cultural support of international students, working with them on a daily basis both inside and outside the classroom to monitor their growth and development. Serve as the primary support person for international students and host families in the event of a student emergency.
- Manage the international student and global programming calendar of events for the year, ensuring that the school creates a dynamic, supportive, and engaging environment for global learning, consistent with the school’s philosophy and diversity statement. Work to develop unique programs and events to support the global awareness of all Gunston students.
- Oversee all communication pertaining to international students and global programming. The DGP is the first point of contact for students, faculty, and families regarding international student needs and issues. The role of the DGP is to work in partnership with international students, school administration, faculty, international student parents, host families, and placement agents (where applicable) to ensure that all needs of both the student and the host family are being met, and that all relevant parties are kept informed in an appropriate and timely manner. This includes working with the Registrar and the Director of Communications to ensure that international family contact information is current. The DGP works closely with the Assistant International Student Coordinator to anticipate and address student and parent concerns.
- Work with the Director of Admissions to oversee the recruitment of international students; member of the International Admissions Committee; work with the Director of Admissions to identify appropriate host families for students, and to nurture and support both the student and the families throughout the host family relationship. Conduct site visits and coordinate the host family orientation program.
- Coordinate the successful transition of all international students from their home country to Gunston, and develop a comprehensive and high-quality orientation program for new international students. Ensure that all details pertaining to student transportation run smoothly, especially in regard to airport pickup and standardized testing. Oversee the school’s “conversation partner” program.
- Partner with the Director of College Guidance to support international student college application and matriculation details, especially as it relates to standardized testing.
- Manage Gunston’s school partnership agreements, cultivating the appropriate programming and exchange with Gunston’s partner schools.
- Planning, coordination, and implementation of Global Awareness Day and Chinese New Year, with support from the Foreign Language Department and the Assistant International Student Coordinator
- In partnership with the Head and Assistant Head, coordinate student/faculty/community/ board diversity training.
- Review and revise the International Student and Host Family Handbook on an annual basis ensuring that all relevant policies are being appropriately implemented.
- Develop and oversee Gunston’s summer English immersion program
- Teach one class; other duties as assigned.