The Nueva School, located in the Bay Area of Northern California and founded in 1967, is an internationally recognized independent PK-12 school serving gifted and talented students. The school is a three-time winner of the US Department of Education National Blue Ribbon Award, winner of the American Institute of Architects Award for School Design and Sustainability, recognized as an Apple Distinguished Program, appointed an Ashoka Changemaker School, a co-founder of the Common Ground Speaker Series, sponsor of the Innovative Learning Conference, and was highlighted by the Pulitzer Prize-winning and New York Times best-selling author Thomas Friedman in his recent book That Used to Be Us in the chapter Average Is Over.
Nueva is a student-centered school known for its distinctive integrated studies, constructivist/project based learning, and its pioneering work in social emotional learning and design thinking. The school also offers specialist teachers in visual and performing arts, music, physical education, reading, math, science, technology, programming, engineering, entrepreneurship, social emotional learning, and design thinking. Our school community inspires passion for lifelong learning, fosters social and emotional acuity, and develops the imaginative mind.
The Nueva Middle School is currently seeking a part-time Spanish teacher, with the possibility but not guarantee of growing to a larger role or even full-time roll the following school year. In addition to specific subject matter experience and expertise, the ideal candidate would have interest in educational technologies, interdisciplinary approaches, and have flexibility and experience with a range of levels of instruction – beginning, intermediate, and advanced levels. The candidate should also have experience with differentiated instruction, as there will also be a range of ability within one class. In May, the eighth-grade travels to Spain on a cultural immersion/homestay trip and this teacher may chaperone. As a PreK-12 school, middle school teachers may also have the opportunity to crossover and teach in our Upper School as well. Additional responsibilities include advising students, and offering an academy (enrichment-type course), and/or facilitating a weekly literature club.
- Teach expertly your course of study with the highest standards for each student
- Convey enthusiasm for content and intellectual inquiry
- Design instruction that emphasizes critical thinking and problem solving
- Collaborate with colleagues to enrich curriculum and instruction
- Integrate appropriate technology to enhance learning
- Create hands-on, project-based learning experiences
- Collaborate effectively with students, teachers, and parents
- Model flexibility in implementing best learning practices
- Support the well-being of all students
- Demonstrate interest and ability to lead student activities, coach, and contribute beyond the classroom
- Lead by example in your commitment to Nueva's mission
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references via email with the subject line “MS Spanish” to firstname.lastname@example.org.