Job Description: LOWER ELEMENTARY HEAD TEACHER
Start Date: Late August 2017
Reports to: Head of The Lower School
Brief Description: The Lower Elementary Head Teacher will work in conjunction with the Head of The Lower School, the Lower Elementary teaching team, the School psychologist, the Lower School Learning Specialist, and the Head of School to educate and lead Lower Elementary students in accordance with the mission, the principles of Montessori educational philosophy and practices, the curriculum, and the policies of Brooklyn Heights Montessori School. A Lower Elementary Head Teacher teaches language arts, math, science and social studies.
Full-time, 10-month position
The LE Head Teacher will report directly to the Head of The Lower School, who will meet with the Head Teacher on a regular basis and prepare an annual evaluation.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Prepare lessons in the designated subject areas in accordance with the curriculum of Brooklyn Heights Montessori School, its mission, and Montessori philosophy,
- Develop, review, and update curriculum and curriculum maps as needed in conjunction with the Head of the Lower School,
- Prepare annual statement of goals and objectives for professional development,
- When requested, be available during school hours to advise parents,
- Be in attendance at school in accordance with the times set forth in the letter of agreement,
- Maintain a “prepared” environment in the classroom and other areas used for instruction,
- Maintain student records with regard to attendance and achievement,
- Prepare reports for parents in accordance with the established policies of Brooklyn Heights Montessori School,
- Prepare for and participate in regular parent-teacher conferences as set forth on the school calendar,
- Participate in regularly scheduled trips with students,
- Attend and participate in various evening meetings, such as Back-to-School Night,
- Attend regularly scheduled faculty meetings,
- Establish and maintain a positive and professional relationship with students, parents, and other teachers and school personnel,
- Comply with the established policies and procedures of Brooklyn Heights Montessori School as stated in the Faculty & Staff Handbook,
- Perform various reasonable tasks from time to time as requested by the Head of School or the Head of the Lower School.