Job Title : Director of After School and Auxiliary Programs
Status: .80 of Full Time, Exempt
Start Date: July 2017
Presidio Hill School is an independent, progressive school serving approximately 225 students enrolled in transitional kindergarten to 8th grade.
Established in 1918, Presidio Hill School is the oldest continuously operating progressive school in California; we will celebrate our 100th anniversary in the upcoming 2017-2018 school year! In keeping with this heritage, Presidio Hill continues to offer its students a challenging, project-based curriculum that prepares them for the future by attending to their developmental needs. Guided by a skilled and caring faculty, students learn to be confident and curious, to be creative problem solvers and independent, critical thinkers. Learning is collaborative and active.
Our vibrant, diverse, and supportive community allows students to explore their unique voices, traits, and talents; our emphasis on the importance of community and justice encourages students to develop self-awareness, personal character, resilience, and an understanding of their role as stewards of the planet and citizens of the world.
Presidio Hill School seeks a Director of After School and Auxiliary Programs to begin July 2017. The hours are daily from approximately 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Candidates will ideally have hands-on experience working with students ranging from pre-Kindergarten through 8th grade. The Director is responsible for hiring, supervising and evaluating all after-school employees, which typically includes three team members in addition to the director. Some of these employees might also work during the school day supervising lunch and recess duties. In partnership with these colleagues and reflecting the progressive pedagogy of PHS, the Director designs the structure and activities that occur in the after school program (called Neighborhood).
The Director is responsible for contracting with several outside educational/activity providers in order to develop a robust and varied enrichment class schedule within the after-school program. Outside of the regular after school program, PHS also provides several day long and multi-day “camp” options throughout the year when school is not in session, typically utilizing the same personnel in order to staff the camps. The Director is responsible for working with the after school staff to create and manage inviting and varied camp opportunities for students in grades TK-5 at several times during the year, including one to two weeks in August.
The Director is also responsible for collaborating with the Assistant Head of School in order to create and maintain an effective schedule for duty and lunch coverage utilizing teachers, staff members, administrators, and after school employees. The Director will be responsible for evaluating the safety, comfort level, and success of the play and eating spaces and times ensuring that lunch and recess periods reflect the mission of the school and are enjoyed by all. The Director will also be in charge of ordering food for both the after school program and the middle school lunch and snack program, and will also coordinate the 3-day per week lunch delivery service which serves some of our families. Maintaining effective communication with colleagues as well as with parents and students is a key component of this position. The position requires excellent communication and organizational skills.
Candidates should possess substantial experience working with young children and supervising adults, a positive attitude, and a desire to work in a bustling school environment. Candidates should be reliable and flexible with the capacity and desire to be a self-starter. Candidates should be strongly motivated to continually strive for best practices and to seek out appropriate professional development opportunities. PHS provides generous support for professional development. Presidio Hill is strongly committed to hiring and supporting a diverse faculty and staff and to promoting an understanding of difference and cultural competency in all curriculum and interactions.
- Design the overall scope of the after-school and camps program and prepare the staff for carrying out this program
- Participate in program implementation and student supervision as part of the after-school team
- Hire outside contractors to provide specialized classes and/or lessons after school
- Manage oversight of the billing process for the afterschool, camp and enrichment programs
- Collaborate with the Assistant Head of School to design and maintain safe and fun recess lunch periods for all students including effective scheduling and clear expectations
- Maintain a budget to include all supplies and inventory for the after school program, camps, and all off-campus field trips during camp days/weeks.
- Assess needs regularly, and order and/or shop for food for daily after school snacks, camp days, and middle school lunch and snack needs; maintain budget for these purchases
- Serve as the coordinator with our all-school (opt-in) lunch program, ensuring that deliveries are happening in a timely manner and food is distributed efficiently to classes for their lunch periods
- Work with teachers and administrators to set up expectations and procedures for efficient and calm lunches and fun and safe recess periods
- Work with teachers and administrators to provide training to staff as necessary to ensure quality time during lunch and recess periods, as well as for after school and camp programs
- Work with colleagues to ensure consistent expectations regarding use of indoor and outdoor spaces
- Plan local field trips for camp days
- Assist the school by covering some recess and lunch duties
- Supervise and support the after school staff members and hold regular team meetings
- Communicate school business and events regularly with after school staff members, especially when there are some who may not be able to attend all staff meetings
General Professional Responsibilities:
Presidio Hill School is committed to hiring and retaining employees who are committed to the mission of the school and the professional expectations that stem from that mission: that commitment should be visible through all the employee’s interactions with children, colleagues, supervisors, families, and community members. PHS employees are expected to be knowledgeable, prepared, and responsive, to strive for high standards of professional integrity and proficiency, to maintain positive and respectful communications and interactions with all members of the PHS community, and to ensure the health, safety, and well-being of PHS students at all times. All PHS employees are expected to read and follow the policies and procedures as described in the Faculty & Staff Guidebook and PHS Employee Handbook.
Presidio Hill School seeks a faculty and staff that reflect the broad range of diversity in the San Francisco Bay Area. We actively support equal opportunity for all people and encourage people of color and LGBTQ candidates to apply. Our school is strongly committed to learning about and promoting cultural competency in all interactions and programs.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, résumé, and a list of two to three references and/or letters of reference via email (with After School in the subject line) to Lisa Jeli (Assistant Head of School):