Position: Upper School English Teacher
Reports To: Head of School and Head of the Upper School
Position Type: Full-Time, Faculty, Exempt
Established in 1920, Bentley School is a K-12 coeducational, independent day school located on two campuses in Oakland and Lafayette, California. Bentley is an inclusive community that shares a vision of transformational learning and respect for the individual. Bentley seeks a full-time English teacher at the Upper School campus in Lafayette.
Candidates should be able and eager to teach introductory and advanced courses in the English Department. The English Department at Bentley is an innovative, collaborative group that seeks a candidate to complement the strengths of the department and to add his or her own expertise and background to the core curriculum in English.
Responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to:
- Teaching four sections of Upper School English.
- Attending regular grade-level team meetings and English department meetings.
- Participating in aspects of student life at Bentley such as advising clubs, coaching, or working with student organizations.
- Degree in English, Composition and Rhetoric, or Comparative Literature;
- Experience teaching English.
- Experience in an interdisciplinary environment with an emphasis on group collaboration and use of technology.
- Ability and willingness to work with students in large and small group settings using multiple teaching methods to reach a broad range of students.
- Desire to continually examine their practice with the goal to improve the learning of students.
- Commitment to issues of diversity, leadership, inclusion, and equity. Candidates who reflect the broad range of diversity of the Bay Area are encouraged to apply.
- An advanced degree in English and/or a related field that requires significant coursework in literature and composition (e.g. M.A., M.F.A., or PhD in English, Composition and Rhetoric, or Comparative Literature).
- A passion for working with young people.
- A desire to collaborate in a dynamic community of teachers.
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, and communication skills.
- Experience in working with high school or college age students in an academic setting.
- Experience in innovative course design, planning, implementation, and assessment.
Bentley is an equal opportunity employer and seeks rich diversity among faculty and administration. The School offers competitive compensation and benefits.
How to Apply
Please email letter of interest, CV/resume, and a statement of teaching philosophy that addresses both your approach to working with students and your approach to classroom practices. A list with the names and contact information of three (3) references should also be included. Materials may be sent to email@example.com. Include English Teacher in the subject line. No phone calls please.