With over forty years educating Pasadena children in an urban progressive environment, Walden School is seeking its next Business Manager to join our dynamic and dedicated school community. A senior administrative position, the Business Manager works closely and collaboratively with the Head of School, administrative team, campus support staff and faculty.
This is a great time to join the Walden team, as school approaching 50 years of educating elementary school students in the Pasadena area; we received another 7-year accreditation from CAIS (California Association of Independent Schools). With deep philosophical and community roots, an expert and committed faculty and staff, innovative outdoor education, and another year of stellar matriculation to the area’s best middle schools, we are excited to find the right match for our dynamic and developing team.
- Serves as a member of the senior administrative team and works directly with the Head of School to initiate, implement and oversee the day-to-day operations, programs and activities of the School.
- Assists the Head of School and the Board of Trustees in long-range strategic and financial planning.
- Serves as the school's Chief Financial Officer and acts as the principal decision maker for school’s financial affairs.
- Primary supervisor and evaluator for the Controller, Security, and the Facilities Manager.
- Works with HR Consultant on matters pertaining to writing, implementing and maintaining appropriate personnel policies. Oversee payroll and benefits programs including health insurance and retirement programs. Ensure all programs are incompliance with federal and state laws and regulations. Prepares yearly contracts for all employees.
- Prepares financial forecasts and budgets and maintains accurate financial records.
- Maintains an effective and efficient system of internal management controls throughout the school. Address issues resulting from independent financial audits and internal management audits.
- Supports committees of the Board of Trustees as directed by the Head of School.
- In coordination with the Head of School and Finance Committee; establishes and maintains relationships with banks and other financial institutions.
- Performs funds management and investments with the guidance of the Board of Trustees and outside investment counsel.
- Prepares and coordinates financial analyses, cost studies, financial plans, audits, and other information for use by the Head of School, Board of Trustees, and operating management as needed.
- Oversees buildings and grounds contract for service, housekeeping, insurance, repair, and regulatory compliance in those areas.
- Maintain facility emergency preparedness planning in the event of a natural disaster and implement such plans as needed in a timely manner.
- Ensures the maintenance of ethical and legal standards in fiscal and business operations and regulations in areas of assigned responsibility.
- Keeps the Head of School informed of all the school's financial affairs and condition.
- Demonstrates the skills to work as part of a team by being service-oriented, flexible, and reliable when helping co-workers accomplish their jobs/tasks at hand.
- Exhibits the behaviors described in Walden Characteristics of Professional Excellence
- Attends required school meetings and special events, and follows school rules and policies.
- Fulfills all qualified duties and responsibilities assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in business or public administration, Master's degree preferred; minimum of five years experience in the areas of financial and business administration as described in job description. (Independent school, banking, mission oriented corporate, or not for profit.)
- Must communicate effectively with school representatives, parents, students, and representatives from the business community.
- Must communicate clearly and efficiently in written and oral expression.
- Demonstrated knowledge of business accounting policies, procedures, practices and software programs, (Proficient in use of Excel, Word and PowerPoint and Financial and Accounting systems software)
- Demonstrated expertise in financial management, accounting, budgeting, controls, interim reporting, and auditing, as well as risk and investment management.
- Skilled at thinking and planning strategically and creatively.
- Demonstrated experience supervising and managing multiple functions and activities.
- Demonstrated experience maintaining confidentiality
- A mission-driven individual with a belief and commitment to Walden’s School mission;
- A good listener and strategist; comfortable and receptive to receiving input from many sources and ability to analyze and formulate disparate information into a sound, well-organized plan;
- Determined yet respectful of others’ concerns; someone with the flexibility and creativity to reach objectives when barriers arise; a skilled negotiator who does not drive him/herself or others into a corner;
- A team builder, with strong skills in management and leadership; one who understands the subtleties of motivating and direction a diverse group of personalities with different work styles;
- A hard worker with a high-energy level; a doer with the willingness to work hands-on in developing and executing a wide variety of school activities.
- Emotionally mature with an excellent sense of humor and the flexibility and sensitivity to work with diverse personalities and situations.
Salary and Hours:
This is a full-time and year-round senior administrative position. Start date is July 1, 2017. The salary and benefits package are competitive.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Lauren Frankel at firstname.lastname@example.org