Harrisburg Academy, an independent preschool through college preparatory day school located in Wormleysburg, Pennsylvania, seeks a personable, organized, and results-oriented individual to provide support for the school’s Development and Alumni Relations Office.
The assistant director of development is responsible for identifying, cultivating, and securing gifts and grants from individuals and foundations for Harrisburg Academy. This individual will build and maintain a portfolio of prospects and donors with the capacity to make gifts, grants or pledges to achieve an assigned fundraising goal.
Reporting to the director of development and alumni relations, the assistant director of development is a member of the Harrisburg Academy annual giving and major gifts team. This individual is an integral member of the campaign office and actively partners with members of the development team and faculty to execute the vision and strategy of Bold Ambition: The Campaign for Harrisburg Academy, the Academy’s current comprehensive campaign.
The position is a full-time, 12-month staff appointment.
- Develops and implements strategies for identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding prospects with capacity to make gifts and pledges.
Successfully manages and grows a portfolio of donors and prospects to meet the agreed upon department priorities and goals. Focuses on building the pipeline of new donors for the campaign by identifying and then qualifying new prospects to secure philanthropic gifts.
• Earns the trust and respect of members of Harrisburg Academy staff, Board of Trustees, and other stakeholders in order to develop strong working relationships that will advance identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of individual prospects and donors.
Meets or exceeds expectations for annual performance metrics including number of visits, solicitations, and dollars raised.
• Works closely with the director of development to identify donors with major gift upgrade and planned giving potential.
• Writes acknowledgement letters, donor stories, and other donor correspondence as needed to proactively manage the portfolio of prospects and donors.
- Contributes articles and other content for immediate Development Office purposes, as well as the greater Academy community, in the form of newsletters, blogs, social media, and other marketing materials.
- Collaborates, participates, and attends all events managed directly by the Development Office and other Academy events as determined by the director of development.
Participates in volunteer management activities as needed.
- Awareness of Harrisburg Academy academic programs and co-curricular offerings.
Minimum Education and Experience:
• A bachelor's degree, and preferably a graduate degree, in non-profit management or related discipline or a combination of education and equivalent experience.
• Five years of experience in development, including a progressive track record of fundraising attainment in academia and a demonstrated ability to work in complex organizations and meet deadlines and goals for multiple highly visible projects and priorities.
• Proven capacity to build a donor pipeline and develop and execute well thought out strategies and plans for donor cultivation and solicitation.
• Ability to succeed in an entrepreneurial fundraising environment where initiative, drive, creativity, and ingenuity are required.
• Demonstrated success working both independently and collaboratively with other team members in managing multiple projects and priorities.
• Exemplary verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to listen and interact effectively with donors and high-level volunteers.
Harrisburg Academy offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. The Academy is an equal opportunity employer. To apply, please send a resume and cover letter with contacts of at least three references to Stacy Klann, by Friday May, 19, 2017, via email only: firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin immediately and the position will be available July 1, 2017, depending on candidate availability and internal scheduling. No phone calls, please.