Lower School (K-4)
2017-18 School Year
This job requires energy, empathy, flexibility, initiative, the ability to collaborate and a commitment to teamwork. Successful Associate Teachers must be able to navigate a K-4 classroom (smaller student chairs/tables, floor based activities, etc.), actively work outside in various kinds of weather, maintain regular attendance, be punctual, and dependable.
Many of our Associate Teachers stay with Open Window for 1-3 years before pursuing a lead teaching opportunity, returning to school for a graduate program, or moving overseas to teach internationally. We understand that this position will be your stepping stone on your way to a successful teaching career. Open Window is excited to have exceptional candidates who enrich our school and endeavor in return to provide practical and unique experiences in gifted education that will enhance your long-term career goals.
Applicants must meet these requirements to be considered for the position.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience working with elementary school students, preferably in a classroom setting
- An interest in the social-emotional development of children
Experience with intellectually gifted children is a plus.
Though many of our Associate Teachers hold a teaching certificate, it is not required.
Start Date: August 22, 2017
- Help provide authentic, differentiated learning experiences that build essential academic skills for each student
- Build students’ confidence and self-esteem as you come to know them as learners and individuals
- Practice and model respect for individual differences, learning styles and rates of learning
- Encourage the development of shared community values, such as honesty, kindness and respect
- Maintain a cordial, flexible, and professional relationship with colleagues and parents
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Strong math and reading skills to help support children’s learning in the classroom
- Sufficient technology skills to help with organization, publishing student work, developing curricular materials, conducting research, etc.
Primary duties include, but are not limited to:
- Working with students in small groups and in one on one settings
- Providing and preparing instruction for multiple levels of mathematics to small or large groups of students
- Supervising the playground, implementing recess rules and discipline
- Providing timely feedback to lead teacher concerning students’ social, emotional, behavioral, and academic progress
- Reviewing, commenting, and grading student work accurately, professionally and in a timely manner
- Assisting with administrative responsibilities such as photocopying, mounting displays, filing student work, etc.
- Taking initiative with the tasks that keep a classroom running smoothly
- Attending class daytime field trips and if working in 4th grade, a week-long overnight trip experience
- Attending required in service days, meetings, seminars and training sessions
- Attending and participating in school events
- Assuming the Lead Teacher role when necessary
- Assisting with applicant visits on selected weekend days in February or March
- Maintaining a high level of professionalism and confidentiality
- Engaging in self-assessment and working toward professional goals
Extended Day Enrichment Program:
Associate Teachers participate in the Extended Day Enrichment Program (EDEP) by working before or after school one day per week. Transitioning students into and out of their regular school day is an important part of the students’ day and provides an opportunity to work with a broader age range of students.
Compensation & Benefits:
- This is an exempt, faculty position, not eligible for overtime. First year pay is $30,000 paid over 10 months (September-June).
- This position qualifies for Open Window’s generous benefits package, including employer paid medical, dental, and vision benefits.
- Opportunities to earn additional pay ($30/hour) coaching or leading after-school programs in area of expertise or passion. These programs vary by age and interest and have included sessions such as yoga, Model UN, sports, debate, math club, and knitting.
Interested applicants need to submit a cover letter describing their interest in and qualifications for this position, a resume, and three professional references. Please be sure your resume includes your email address. No phone calls, please.
Subject Line: LSAT2017 – “your last name”
Open Window School does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, color, religion, creed, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national or ethnic origin, or other status legally protected by local, state, or federal law. We encourage minority applicants to apply.