Associate Teacher: Science
Middle School (Grades 5-8)
2017-18 School Year
The Open Window Middle School is looking for an Associate Teacher to work with our lead Science teachers and students. The school seeks to combine the positive habits and structure of traditional instruction with projects, activities, questioning techniques, and interdisciplinary STEM activities that take the learning deeper, not just wider. Classes are typically 10-18 students. Faculty are fortunate to work at a school where students and staff truly love learning and want to dive deep.
This job requires energy, empathy, flexibility, initiative, the ability to collaborate and a commitment to teamwork. Successful Associate Teachers must be able to actively work outside in various kinds of weather, maintain regular attendance, be punctual, and dependable.
Many of our Associate Teachers stay with Open Window for 2-3 years before pursuing a lead teaching opportunity, returning to school for a graduate program, or moving overseas to teach internationally. We understand that this position will be your stepping stone on your way to a successful teaching career. Open Window is excited to have exceptional candidates who enrich our school and endeavor in return to provide practical and unique experiences in gifted education that will enhance your long-term career goals.
Applicants must meet these requirements to be considered for the position.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience working with middle school students (Preferred)
- An interest in the social-emotional development of early adolescents
Well qualified candidates will have the following:
- Experience with intellectually gifted children.
- Background with science and/or math.
Though many of our Associate Teachers hold a teaching certificate, it is not required.
Start Date: August 22, 2017
- Help provide authentic, differentiated learning experiences that build essential academic skills for each student
- Work closely with members of the faculty to ensure continuity within the grade level and from grade to grade
- Build students’ confidence and self-esteem as you come to know them as learners and individuals
- Practice and model respect for individual differences, learning styles and rates of learning
- Encourage the development of shared community values, such as honesty, kindness and respect
- Maintain a cordial, flexible, and professional relationship with colleagues
Primary duties include, but are not limited to:
- Working with students in small groups and in one on one settings
- Supervising the playground, implementing recess rules and discipline
- Supervising lunch, transitions and study halls during the school-day
- Assisting with administrative tasks such as photocopying, mounting displays, etc.
- Attending required in service days, meetings, seminars and training sessions
- Attending and participating in school events
- Participating in frequent field trips (all grades) and annual overnight hallmark experience
- Participating in class meetings and other community building activities
- Maintaining a high level of professionalism and confidentiality
- Engaging in self-assessment and working toward professional goals
- Assuming the Lead Teacher role when necessary
Extended Day Enrichment Program:
- Associate Teachers participate in the Extended Day Enrichment Program (EDEP) by working before or after school at least one day per week. Transitioning students into and out of their regular school day is an important part of the students’ day and provides an opportunity to work with a broader age range of students.
Compensation & Benefits:
- This is an exempt, faculty position, not eligible for overtime. First year pay is $30,000 paid over 10 months (September-June).
- This position qualifies for Open Window’s generous benefits package, including employer paid medical, dental, and vision benefits.
- Opportunities to earn additional pay ($30/hour) coaching or leading after-school programs in area of expertise or passion. These programs vary by age (K-8) and interest and have included sessions such as yoga, Model UN, sports, debate, math club, and knitting.
Interested applicants need to submit a cover letter describing their interest in and qualifications for this position, a resume, and three professional references. Please be sure your resume includes your email address. No phone calls, please.
Subject Line: ScienceAT2017 – “your last name”
Open Window School does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, color, religion, creed, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national or ethnic origin, or other status legally protected by local, state, or federal law. We encourage minority applicants to apply.