The Middle School Humanities Teacher is an experienced, passionate and creative middle school educator who inspires and engages students within a humanities program that reflects appropriate academic rigor and fosters excitement and curiosity. The teacher is responsible for leading an integrated, inquiry-based program in humanities (English/language arts and history/social studies) for sixth, seventh, or eighth grade students. The Humanities Teacher works collaboratively with other teachers at the grade level to develop and implement an effective and engaging middle school humanities program.
The Humanities Teacher also serves as an Advisor or Co-Advisor for 12-15 students at the grade level taught. Advisors are the primary liaison between school and the home and advocates for their advisees. They stay abreast of all aspects of their advisees’ school lives, connect with their teachers, and support them to meet academic, social, and emotional goals. Advisors are supported by the Advisory Coordinators with curriculum, guidelines, and themes to maintain a level of consistency across advisory groups
Teachers at MP&MS work as members of subject area, grade level and advisory teams, sharing the responsibility of creating a strong sense of community and planning an integrated curriculum by blending the skills, passions, and talents of the specialist and core academic teachers. Teachers build meaningful bonds with students, maintain high academic standards, teach children to engage in respectful and kind behavior, and promote a love of learning.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Provide for the safety and well-being of all students at all times; create a learning environment in which students grow in autonomy as they learn together.
- Serve as humanities teacher at the assigned grade level (sixth, seventh and/or eighth grade) and collaborate with the other teachers and the grade level and the grades below and ahead to further develop the curriculum to enhance student learning and engagement.
- With the other middle school humanities teachers, adapt the current middle school humanities program as needed to effectively utilize the new middle school structure.
- Adapt the curriculum and activities to reach the range of individual learning styles, experiences, and abilities within each class and meet the needs of students.
- Build relationships with students to insure that each student feels understood, nurtured and challenged while supporting and respecting each child’s emerging identity.
- Assess, evaluate and document student progress in a systematic manner.
- Prepare report cards (including narrative descriptions), and participate with other teachers as part of student study teams and advisory.
- Share information with parents about the program and their child’s progress through written communication, parent conferences and the school’s website.
- Create opportunities for children to understand and become increasingly responsible for the many communities in which they live within the wider world.
- Defend the dignity and worth of each member of the community and foster respect, understanding and acceptance of differences; always model appropriate and ethical behavior.
- Participate in the life of the middle school and overall school through activities and responsibilities such as recess, lunch, assemblies, overnight field trips, student performances and school wide events.
- Participate actively in faculty meetings and collaborate with colleagues on efforts to further the development of the school’s program.
- Pursue professional growth opportunities on an ongoing basis.
MP&MS is an equal opportunity employer. All individuals have an equal opportunity for employment based on qualifications and merit, regardless of religion, race, sex, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, military service status, or any other factor prohibited by state or federal law. This policy applies to all areas of employment, including recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, and other conditions of employment. MP&MS also makes reasonable accommodations for employees with disabilities and for employees who request an accommodation for pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions.