High School Science Department Chair | Job Description
Purpose of the School
Pacifica is devoted to teaching young men and women to think critically and wisely, instilling heartfelt joy and interest in learning, while encouraging lives of faith, character, and service to God. In order to accomplish our mission, we offer a rigorous, semi-classical, liberal arts curriculum directed by an energetic and talented faculty, working in partnership with the families, and focused on the development of each individual student.
Process for Applying
1. Contact Dr. Roberson to request an application at email@example.com
2. Email the completed application to Ben Roberson with the following: resume & cover letter.
3. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
For more information about the school, visit our website at www.pacificaoc.org
Our desire is to inspire students’ to think well and engage their hearts to live well. Pacifica’s goal is for students to graduate with the wisdom and key competencies necessary for further study, and to be prepared to represent God effectively in their life calling.
Characteristics of Faculty
The most important element in making Pacifica a one-of-a-kind school is the strong leadership and direction of our highly relational teachers. Pacifica teachers must have a personal and dynamic relationship with Jesus Christ and incorporate a distinctly Christian worldview into their teaching. Teachers must be outstanding in their chosen academic field, demonstrating excellence in their teaching, thinking, and communication skills. While holding high personal and professional standards, teachers must be capable of inspiring a range of students to reach their potential. They thoroughly enjoy working with high school students and their parents. Each faculty member at Pacifica maintains an enthusiastic commitment to the school’s statement of faith in word and deed. Each teacher seeks to maintain an atmosphere of grace and joy at Pacifica.
Pacifica faculty members are responsible to conduct all activities with a commitment to realizing excellence in achievement, character, and reputation. They represent the Pacifica mission to all stakeholders including students, parents, donors, board and community members.
Academic Responsibilities of Faculty
The Science Department Chair will need to be qualified to instruct:
- Physics Preferred
Curriculum Implementation and Design
Teachers are responsible for implementing the stated curriculum of the school. They are to modify and revise curriculum when necessary in order to comply with accreditation requirements of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and in response to analysis in collaboration with the Dean of Academics and Principal.
Teachers maintain a disciplined learning environment within the classroom, which is built out of respect, grace, and passion for the subject.
- Facilitates a challenging academic environment
- Maintains an organization plan for each assigned course (subject matter outline, daily lesson plans, etc.)
- As a minimum, remains faithful to the course outline as indicated in the curriculum guide and enriches curriculum whenever possible
- Commits to expertise and growth in discipline content and methodology
- Uses technology to enhance student learning and achievement
- Completing grading within cycle of assignment, updating homework and test results online in a timely manner
- Independently pursues professional growth
Professional Responsibilities and Duties
- Executes all duties in a timely manner (starts class on time, meets deadlines, attends meetings, turns in paperwork on time, etc.)
- Seeks opportunities to promote a collegial, educational environment throughout the campus
- Maintains communication with parents and responds within 24 hours
- Sustains cordial, professional relationships with all students, staff, parents, and community members
- Attends meetings and sits on committees as directed by administration
- Is eagerly involved in the Pacifica community outside of school hours
- Is a team player and willingly collaborates
- Attends Family Picnics, Athletic Activities, Performing Arts Events, and Open Houses
- Attends Chapels and Assemblies on a regular basis
- Participates in class overnight trips (All School Retreat)
- Faithfully completes reasonable extra duty assignments (Supervision, Advisory/Mentoring, Office Hours)
- Abides by the spirit and policies in the Pacifica Faculty Handbook
- Holds self directly accountable to the chair of his/her department, the Academic Dean, Principal, and ultimately the Head of School
The culture at Pacifica is dedicated to ministering to the whole person. Advisory Groups are an intentional way to have at least one adult assigned to the well being of each student. All Pacifica teachers will serve as an advisor (mentor) to one advisory group each academic year. Each advisor is expected to:
- Meet weekly with their students during the designated time
- Sit with their students at school meetings such as chapels or assemblies
- Earn the trust of their students
- Pray for and with their students
- Communicate with parents as needed
Pacifica is an EEO employer, seeking to be diverse in people and programs consistent with its mission.