Cascades Academy is an independent PK-12 day school with 195 students located in the beautiful mountain town of Bend, Oregon. The school was founded in 2003 and resides on an award-winning 21-acre campus located on the Deschutes River. The school’s unique mission weaves challenging academics with experiential learning and actively cultivates a nurturing and inclusive school community.
The Lower School is seeking a positive and experienced Reading and Math Intervention Teacher (Learning Specialist) to join us for the 2017-18 school year.
The intervention teacher works with grades K-5 throughout the week approximately 10-15 hours per week. Exact days and times are determined once the lower school schedule is finalized. This position may be combined with other part-time teaching opportunities available at the school such as the Extended Day Program.
Position Title: Lower School Intervention Teacher
Reports to: Lower School Head
Start Date: September 2017
Duties, Responsibilities, and Expectations for LS Reading and Math Intervention Teacher:
- Appreciate learning differences of all kinds; has compassion, empathy, and a passion for supporting students in their learning
- Teach individuals and/or small groups of students using research based interventions and extensions by offering a variety of services customized to fit the context and needs of the student(s)
- Collaborate with teachers individually to identify the academic needs of students, to set learning goals and targets, and to problem solve with teachers to develop best practices for continuous academic growth of students in reading and math
- Administer system wide assessments such as the Fountas and Pinnell Benchmark Assessment System, DIBELS, Really Great Reading Diagnostics, Easy CBM, etc.
- Assist teachers with data collection, analysis of data results, and instructional scaffolds to support students in their learning
- Monitor and assess students’ progress towards goals and maintain and submit accurate and up-to-date records of all students’ progress
- Communicate clearly, positively, and regularly with students, parents and staff through informal and formal reports
- Develop and maintain a classroom environment conducive to learning through positive management of classroom behavior
- Perform other duties and responsibilities related to learning support as assigned by Lower School Head
- Bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education (Masters preferred)
- Experience teaching struggling and gifted students in reading and math
- Preferred training and experience in multisensory reading programs such as Orton-Gillingham
- Ability to work collaboratively with other teachers and staff
- A commitment to the "whole child" through age-appropriate, child-centered, experiential learning
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and two letters of reference to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Salary dependent on experience and education.
It is the policy of Cascades Academy to provide equal employment opportunity, regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental impairment, sexual orientation, veteran’s status or any other status protected by applicable law. Specifically, employment opportunities are and shall be open to all qualified applicants solely on the basis of their experience, aptitudes, abilities and training; advancement is and shall be based on the individual’s achievement, performance, ability, attitude and potential for promotion. Minorities and persons of color are encouraged to apply.