Department: Athletic Office, Middle School Office
Reports To: Athletic Director
Starting Date: June 1, 2017
The Athletics Department at Randolph School has made the commitment to love, serve, and develop scholar-athletes physically, mentally, emotionally, and socially and to provide an environment that teaches commitment, accountability, responsibility, discipline, and sacrifice. The School believes that developing these qualities in our students best prepares them for life after high school.
The Associate Athletic Director (AAD) must support the Athletic Director (AD) with leadership and management of all comprehensive athletics programs throughout Randolph to include coordination of the Physical Education Department as well as RAP (Randolph Athletic Programs for K-6 students).
In coordination with the AD, the AAD will execute on the following strategic objectives:
- Promote and project a culture of stability, consistency, clarity, strength, and pride in Randolph Athletics among internal and external constituencies;
- Identify opportunities and methods for improving the professional growth, support, and success of Randolph Athletics staff and coaches;
- Lead Randolph toward a unified understanding of student life and learning that coordinates academics, arts, and athletics rather than separates these endeavors;
- Ensure athletic programs are developmentally appropriate and in keeping with the school’s educational philosophy;
- Represent Randolph Athletics with Randolph parents (especially on the Drake Avenue K-8 campus), promoting the goals of the program, encouraging student participation, coordinating pre-season meetings and post-season evaluations, and supporting individual coaches and division administrators through meetings with parents when questions or issues arise.
In conjunction with the AD, the AAD will execute on the following tactical objectives:
- Increase student participation in Randolph Athletics programs in part by attracting strong and academically capable student-athletes to the School from across the region;
- Increase fan support at athletic competitions from all School constituencies;
- Coordinate all Randolph Athletics programs vertically across school divisions in terms of skill development, team-building, and commitment to school;
- Steward and enhance Randolph’s athletic facilities and resources;
- Expand athletic program offerings as warranted to increase personal growth and learning opportunities for Randolph students;
Management responsibilities of the AAD include but are not necessarily limited to:
- Ensuring compliance with all AHSAA interscholastic policies, procedures, and bylaws;
- Providing administrative management for athletic events and teams;
- Providing structure and guidance to parent volunteers;
- Frequently attending Lower School, Middle School, and Upper School athletic contests;
- Serving as the administrative game manager at athletic competitions throughout the year (except when coaching), or arranging administrative coverage when unable to attend due to unavoidable conflicts;
- Attending weekly athletic staff meetings;
- Supporting 7th-12th grade athletic teams and coaches through management and coordination of:
- Practice sites (on and off campus);
- Team meals;
- Uniforms and equipment, working with head coaches to manage and maintain uniform cycles, player packs, and program inventory to ensure appropriateness, timeliness and compliance;
- Fee collection;
- Transportation, ensuring the transport of students, coaches, and school equipment to off-site locations and supporting staff travel for school business in a school-owned or personal vehicle by working in conjunction with the Transportation Director to manage vehicles and drivers;
- Field/court setup and preparation (in conjunction with Athletic Fields Manager);
- Game official hiring and compensation for all home athletic events; and
- Game and practice schedule determination and timely communication, to include offseason evaluation periods, summer plans, and summer community athletic camps.
- Serving as the athletic department coordinator for summer programs, ensuring a full offering of athletic camps, to include administration, recruitment of camp leaders, and marketing of camps, working in conjunction with the Director of Auxiliary Services and the Business Office;
- In support of the Middle School program and under the direction of the Middle School Division Head, teaching and/or lead a physical education or health class, attending Middle School faculty meetings, and serving as a Middle School advisor; and
- Coaching up to 2 seasons.
Prior experience as an employee in an independent school setting is preferred. All Randolph staff and coaches are expected to inspire scholar-athletes to reach their full academic and personal potential, live the School’s mission and core values on a daily basis, and develop healthy and lasting relationships throughout the Randolph community. The successful candidate will demonstrate an established record of working closely with colleagues, parents, students, and peer schools. The AAD position requires a relentless attention to detail, an aptitude for organization, and an eagerness to communicate clearly, consistently, and promptly.
Randolph School is an equal opportunity employer. Interested persons should submit a cover letter, resume and three references to Blake Davenport, Athletic Director, Randolph School at firstname.lastname@example.org
Information about Randolph School can be found at www.RandolphSchool.net. For information about Randolph Athletics, please visit www.RandolphAthletics.net.