Learning Specialist Grade 1-5
Sacred Heart Schools, Atherton
Sacred Heart Schools, Atherton (SHS) is seeking excellent candidates for a Learning Specialist in the lower school, serving grades 1-5, to begin in early-August 2017. This position is full-time, supporting students and classroom teachers while participating in the Sacred Heart community. Requirements include a Master's degree or post-graduate work in education with emphasis in varied exceptionalities or learning disabilities. Preferred traits include a certification as a speech-language pathologist and experience with independent schools, Singapore math curricula, and the Daily Five framework of literacy instruction and the Writers Workshop methodology of writing instruction. The successful candidate will actively engage students in the learning process, nurturing analytical thinking and a life-long love of learning. The ideal candidate will also have a demonstrated interest in multicultural education, educational technology and a deep concern for educational access, diversity and inclusion and previous experience in a Sacred Heart School. A healthy and appropriate sense of humor is always a plus! For a complete job description, please visit Careers @ SHS.
Well qualified candidates will also have:
• A clear commitment to the educational philosophy of the school as articulated in the Goals and Criteria of Sacred Heart Schools and professional behavior based in it. Goals and Criteria
• Master's degree or post-graduate work in education with emphasis in varied exceptionalities or learning disabilities. Could possess certification as a speech-language pathologist.
• A minimum of five years teaching and/or administration experience in an independent school environment.
• Strong organizational skills and ability to mentor and coach executive functioning skills. Demonstrated leadership and facilitative skills.
• Fluency in reading, writing and speaking in English; excellent verbal and written skills, as well as outstanding interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work well with students and colleagues; willingness to be an active, enthusiastic member of the SHS community. Commitment to equity and inclusion. (see Statement on Equity, Justice, and Multicultural Education)
• Observes and tests students for academic problems, speech and language delays/disorders
• Provides leadership and collaborates with faculty in integrating alternative learning strategies for students
• Collaborates with parents and teachers to assist students with modified educational goals
• Implements an effective referral and follow-up process as needed
• Accurately and appropriately uses assessment procedures for determining and structuring individual remediation
• Designs and facilitates study skills training and curriculum
• Counsels parents who want information about special testing, ideas about home study management or methods of reading with children
• Develops and implements executive functioning strategies and support
Founded in 1898, Sacred Heart Schools, Atherton is an independent, coeducational Catholic school, as interpreted and lived by the Society of the Sacred Heart (RSCJ). Our mission is to cultivate in students a personal and active faith in God and to lay the foundation for a meaningful life. Located on a beautiful 64acre campus in the San Francisco Bay Area, SHS comprises two academic divisions: Preschool – Grade 8 (P-8), and Sacred Heart Preparatory (SHP) for grades 9-12.
One of 24 schools in the U.S. - Canada Network of Sacred Heart Schools, SHS is affiliated with a more than 200 Sacred Heart schools worldwide. SHS holds a strong commitment to diversity, and employs over 300 full and parttime women and men across academics, administration, and operations. Of our 1,000+ student population, about one-quarter identify as students of color; close to 30% receive needbased tuition assistance; and 100% of our graduates are accepted into fouryear colleges, with many recognized annually as National Merit Scholars. At the high school level, approximately 70% of all students participate in one or more of our competitive sports programs, and the school has amassed a solid record of league, section, and regional championship titles. For more information about our school, our community, and our athletics programs, please visit SHS Fast Facts.
The advertised position offers competitive compensation. SHS has a policy of making health and welfare benefits available to employees based on the length of assignment and subject to the plan parameters, including medical, dental, Life & LTD, vision, 403(b) retirement plan and more.
Please do not contact the school by phone or address your materials to any other addresses other than the ones below. Please apply online by sending a resume and cover letter detailing your grade level experience to firstname.lastname@example.org You MUST indicate Learning Specialist 2017-18
Or, you may mail your resume and cover letter detailing your grade level experience to:
Sacred Heart Schools
150 Valparaiso Avenue
Atherton, CA 94027
Attention Human Resources: Learning Specialist 2017-18
Submissions will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Preemployment background screening is required for all positions.
Sacred Heart Schools, Atherton believes that each individual is entitled to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, age, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, genetic information, citizenship, veteran status, or any other class protected under federal, state or local laws.
As a faith-based institution, we reserve the right to use religion as a criterion in hiring decisions, as permitted by law, as it relates to performing essential job duties.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency