ABOUT ALLIANCE COLLEGE-READY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Alliance College-Ready Public Schools is the largest nonprofit charter organization in Los Angeles, serving 12,500 low-income families across 28 open enrollment public charter high schools and middle schools. Alliance schools significantly outperform traditional public schools across almost every measure; for example, 95% of Alliance students graduate high school in four years and 95% of Alliance graduates have been accepted to college. We are committed to hiring the most dedicated, qualified, and talented teachers, school leaders, and staff to join our team and serve our students.
Alliance schools are small, with up to 150 students per grade level. They are designed to prepare students for the intellectual rigor of college coursework, equipping them with digital literacy skills required for 21st century careers. Alliance teaches logic, critical thinking, problem solving and perseverance through the application of scientific principles, deep analysis of ideas, verbal and written exchange of multiple perspectives, and mathematical concepts. All of this work is done within a technology-rich environment to personalize the student learning experience.
ROLE SUMMARY: ALLIANCE SCHOOL PRINCIPAL
Alliance is seeking an outstanding instructional leaders and managers to shepherd its schools into the next chapter of even greater academic excellence, with the goals of having every single Alliance school performing in the top quartile of all schools in California and 75% of Alliance graduates completing a four-year college degree. Principals enjoy a significant degree of autonomy and flexibility to lead their schools to achieve these academic results as well as to build engaged, rewarding work environments that retain the most talented and devoted educators committed to ensuring college and career success for all students.
ROLE SUMMERY: BAXTER HIGH SCHOOL
Alliance Alice M. Baxter High School is looking for a strong and dedicated instructional leader to serve as principal. Baxter’s instructional model leverages one-to-one computing technology to enable a personalized learning experience for all students that prepares them for success in college and beyond. Founded in 2014, Baxter will grow to graduate its first senior class in the 2017-18 school year. Baxter’s student population reflects the diversity of its location in San Pedro, near the Port of Los Angeles, with 81% of students participating in the Free/Reduced Price Meal Program.
- Drive instructional excellence by setting aspirational school goals and ensuring that teachers receive appropriate, targeted coaching and professional development to meet goals.
- Prepare all students to apply to, enroll, attend, and succeed in college by implementing a college-ready curriculum and supporting instructional activities, and by using multiple data points and ongoing data analysis to continually revise and improve program.
- Supervise, coach, develop, and evaluate teachers via regular observations, feedback and coaching as part of Alliance’s rigorous talent management and support system.
Positive School Culture
- Create a culture of high expectations and continuous improvement with a relentless focus on student achievement, college and career readiness, operational efficiency, and self-improvement.
- Maintain a safe and positive school environment in which students thrive, develop and grow.
- Develop a best-in-class work environment to retain and develop exceptionally talented staff.
- Foster an environment of deep collaboration with families and caregivers, building strong relationships and encouraging their direct engagement in their students’ school experiences.
- Partner with the Alliance Home Office to secure and allocate the resources and supports necessary to maintain the health of the school organization.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from a competitive, accredited college or university
- Valid credential authorizing service as a principal, with ability to obtain said credential in California
- Minimum of three years of teaching experience and two years of instructional leadership experience
- Proven track record of leading and managing other educators to increase student achievement with a similar population of students, preferably in a charter school and/or urban school setting
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse student populations and with leading differentiated instruction to support special populations and different levels of learners, developing student-centered classrooms, promoting personalized learning, and using instructional technology
- Expertise in managing people and teams of educators, coaching teachers to improve and excel and building a positive and collaborative adult culture
- Deep instructional expertise, including knowledge of Common Core -aligned instruction
- Culturally competent and self-reflective leader who understands the effects of race, class, ethnicity, income, disability, and other issues of difference and has personally worked in communities like Alliance’s to ensure that all students have an opportunity to succeed in college and careers
Skills, Beliefs, and Mindset:
- Belief in and alignment with Alliance’s core beliefs and educational philosophy to prepare students for the intellectual rigor of college and the digital literacy skills required for 21st century careers
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Entrepreneurial inclinations with an interest in innovative practices and ability to thrive in settings with autonomy and independence, and high levels of personal flexibility
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build and cultivate relationships with adult stakeholders
- Willingness to go above and beyond to contribute to the success of a dynamic team
- Understanding of the nuances of urban school environments and school culture
Alliance College-Ready Public Schools prides itself in offering its employees a competitive salary and excellent group benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage for the employee and her/his eligible dependents.
Alliance College-Ready Public Schools are free public charter schools which do not discriminate against any student, parent, community member, or employee on the basis of actual or perceived ancestry, age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.