Breakwater School seeks an experienced, creative and collaborative aftercare/floater teacher to join its dedicated Early Childhood team. This is a full-time hourly summer position which changes to part time in the school year.
Breakwater School is a non-profit, independent, co-educational day school serving 150 students from the age of eighteen months through eighth grade. Our school philosophy balances the best of the progressive movement with current research, innovation and proven traditional practices in a curriculum highly integrated among all subjects. Breakwater’s programs are housed in three separate buildings surrounded by large fields for outdoor play and supplemented by a 21 acre nature preserve. Breakwater School hires kind, personable, creative, committed and well organized faculty and staff who have a passion for learning and believe in the inherent abilities of each child.
We are seeking a loving, skilled and energetic teacher for our Early Childhood Aftercare program to provide a safe and welcoming play environment for children ages 18 months to 5. Must have experience teaching young children and communicate well with children, co-workers, and parents. This Teacher will float between toddler and preschool classrooms as scheduled in the summer and school year, work in preschool aftercare with children ages 3-5 during the summer and work in the toddler aftercare with children ages 18 months to 3 years during the school year.
2017 Summer Schedule: Monday-Friday, 10:00 am-3:00 pm Floater Teacher; 3:00-6:00 Preschool Aftercare Teacher
School Year Schedule: Monday-Thursday, 2:30-5:30 pm; Friday, 1:00-5:30 pm
Ending times may fluctuate with enrollment. Additional contracted hours include working aftercare programming during our professional development dates, Some evening events during the school year and vacation care during February and April vacation weeks.
The right candidate will be:
- A loving and patient advocate for all children
- Accountable for the short and long-term success of the preschool program regarding curriculum, learning environment, and relationships with children, parents, staff.
- A spokesperson within and outside of Breakwater who embodies and articulates the preschool program's goals, curriculum, and benefits to children, to the school, and to the Portland area community.
- Teaches and supports children ages 18 months - 3 and 3-5 in a play-based, emergent curriculum inspired by the best practices of Reggio Emilia and grounded in intentional, integrated and researched based teaching.
- Help to maintain a clean and tidy classroom consistent with health and safety standards.
- As Aftercare Teacher, plans and maintains daily schedule and routine. As Floater Teacher, helps maintain daily schedule and routine.
- Works with the Academic Director, Early Childhood Coordinator and early childhood faculty to ensure optimum learning for each student and to cultivate a kind, welcoming, and vital classroom community.
- Articulates a personal working early childhood education philosophy in alignment with Breakwater mission, principles and teaching model.
- Demonstrates ability to learn and teach in response to individual children's needs and developmentally appropriate best practices.
- Works with the Head of School, Academic Director, Early Childhood Coordinator, and faculty to communicate, support and model Breakwater's mission, core beliefs, principles and the Breakwater Way
- Establishes work patterns and relationships within Breakwater that are sustainable, productive, mutually respectful and supportive, in service to children and families.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum of 2 years experience teaching children between the ages of 18 months and 5 in a group setting
- Must either be working toward a degree in early childhood education or related field, hold an associates degree in early childhood education, or have earned an early childhood certificate
- Able to lift 40 pounds, haul or drag up to 25 pounds, sit, stand, squat, and otherwise get down on the level of children
- Willing and able to change diapers and assist children with toileting and other self care
- Toddler and Preschool teaching experience in at least one of the following settings preferred: Reggio Emilia inspired, Montessori, and/or nature based preschool program
- Experience with one or more of the following is desired: school gardens, early childhood art, music, movement, nature studies, science, tinkering, woodworking
- Hourly. Pay depends on experience and education.
- Position begins June 19, 2017 in addition to some EC Team Workshop Training hours to be scheduled.
- Resumes will be reviewed as they are submitted.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and three professional references electronically.
Applications will be reviewed at the time they are received and will be accepted until the position is filled.
For more information about our work, please log onto the website at Breakwaterlearning.org
Breakwater is an equal opportunity employer (EOE), and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability and genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.