Nature of the Position: The International School Counselor (ISC) is a professional educator who understands and responds to the challenges presented by an international boarding and home-stay population. The ISC provides proactive leadership that engages all stakeholders in the delivery of programs and services to help students achieve success at Thornton Academy and beyond.
Accountability: The International School Counselor is directly responsible to the Director of Guidance in fulfilling all duties.
Job Requirements — This position requires an individual who:
- Demonstrates an understanding of child (adolescent) development and behavior
- Possesses engaging interpersonal skills
- Is experienced with the needs of high school aged students and their families
- Embraces cultural differences
- Is innovative, enthusiastic, energetic, and flexible
- Possesses excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrates an ability to work in a variety of settings
- Is familiar with international and domestic transcripts
- Possesses a strong work ethic
- Demonstrates a commitment to professional growth
- Possesses strong organizational skills
- Communicates and works collaboratively with school counseling staff
Performance Responsibilities — Representative tasks include but are not limited to:
- Providing college, career, academic, and social emotional counseling to individual students
- Supporting the Director of Guidance with testing and academic placement of international students
- Providing assistance with standardized testing (SAT, ACT, and TOEFL; others as appropriate)
- Consulting and communicating with appropriate school personnel regarding student concerns
- Administering all aspects of college (post-secondary) search and application/admission process:
- Develop appropriate college list
- Assist with applications
- Write recommendations
- Collect, complete, and send all supporting materials
- Providing responsive services with short term counseling and small group counseling
- Providing crisis intervention
- Maintaining professionalism: adhere to laws and ethical standards of school counseling
- Assume additional responsibilities as directed by the Director of Guidance or the Headmaster
- MS-Counseling with a concentration in school counseling
- Teaching and/or educational experience in a boarding school setting a plus
To apply, please submit:
- Letter of interest
- Current resume
- List of three professional references, including contact information (references will not be contacted prior to interview)
Electronic submission is preferred. Please put “Candidate: ISC” in the Subject line and send to:
Please note: In the event that an interview is requested, submission of transcripts of all post-secondary education will be required together with completion of an application form.
Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate is found.
The Thornton Academy Board of Trustees has adopted a non-discrimination policy. Thornton Academy considers all applicants without regard to race, age, color, ancestry or national origin, religion, gender, gender identification, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, marital, veteran, or any other legally protected status.