Allendale Columbia School (AC), a diverse, co-educational, college prep independent school serving over 420 students in grades nursery through twelve, seeks a dynamic, collaborative, nimble, and goal-oriented Director of Development to lead and oversee the Development Team. The ideal candidate for this position must have equal parts strategic capacity and operational acumen and should be effective at collaborating and executing with teams throughout the organization.
The Director of Development and Alumni Relations will play a vital new role in the AC community during an exciting time in the school’s history. He/she will report to the Assistant Head for External Affairs/Campaign Director and have the opportunity to contribute to a fun, entrepreneurial learning community that values creativity and innovative advancement ideas.
- Work collaboratively as a member of the Advancement team with the Assistant Head for External Affairs/Campaign Director, Director of Enrollment Management and Financial Aid, and Director of Marketing and Communication, to successfully promote a coordinated advancement strategy for Allendale Columbia School.
- Work collaboratively with the Head of School and Assistant Head for External Affairs/Campaign Director to drive a strategic development and alumni relations strategy aligned with the overall marketing and communication plan and the strategic plan.
- Cultivate and steward lifelong loyalty to AC through increased alumni engagement and increased donor engagement.
- Foster a vibrant culture of philanthropy so that giving of time and financial resources is a joyful, inclusive, and meaningful experience for donors and volunteers.
- Lead the development efforts through soliciting gifts at donor meetings together with the Head of School or Campaign Director, strategic planning of the annual fund and the benefit, cultivating major gifts and planned giving, building volunteer teams, and ensuring that the development plan is aligned with the financial goals of the school.
- Collaborate with the Campaign Director to ensure successful completion of current $4M campaign while building the foundation for future campaigns.
- Work closely with the Head of School and Assistant Head for External Affairs/Campaign Director to set alumni engagement goals, fundraising objectives, and solicitation strategies, evaluating results and developing nimble strategies as needed.
The Director will supervise an Assistant Director of Development and Alumni Relations and a Development Associate, serve as the primary staff support for the Development Committee of the Board of Trustees, and contribute to other board committees as needed. The Director’s efforts should be guided by a commitment to the NAIS Principles of Good Practice.
The ideal candidate’s experience should include a solid grounding in relationship building, communications, and fundraising; expertise in setting development goals and devising strategies for achieving them; experience building a team and working on a team; and the ability to work effectively with trustees, faculty, staff, and external constituencies. The ideal candidate must also demonstrate the ability to lead and manage personnel with diverse backgrounds and execute all duties with demonstrated sensitivity, including an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, and ethnic backgrounds of the AC community. Excellent written and oral communication skills are required. The ideal candidate must also be flexible and share a willingness to take on new responsibilities in AC’s innovative, dynamic culture, especially as AC’s fundraising and alumni relations program continues to strengthen and evolve.
Please send resume and letter of interest to the Executive Assistant to the Head of School, Lynne Toomey, at email@example.com. Write your full name and “Director of Development and Alumni Relations” in the subject line. Please do not send a fax or a paper copy.
Now well into its second century, Allendale Columbia is a leading independent co-ed college prep school for students in nursery through grade 12. Here, learning goes far beyond books and tests. We have the freedom to dig deeper so students can question more, discuss, debate, and question again. As a result, our students develop critical thinking skills and become effective problem solvers. Our faculty members use their independence and experience to connect knowledge to real life so our students can make more sense of the world–and their place in it. It all adds up to a different school of thought: high expectations and relevant experiences that prepare students to succeed in a global community. For more information, visit www.allendalecolumbia.org.
Allendale Columbia School, as an equal opportunity employer, does not discriminate in its hiring of employees on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religion, creed, national origin, citizenship, marital or veteran status, age or disability. We actively seek diversity among faculty and administration as well as among students.