The Johns Hopkins University for Center Talented Youth (CTY) is currently seeking deans of residential life for its summer programs in the United States.
What is CTY?
CTY, a world leader in gifted education, offers summer academic programs at college, universities, and independent schools in the United States and Hong Kong. CTY provides highly qualified students with an intense immersion in a particular subject. In addition to rigorous academics, students enjoy a rich experience outside the classroom through recreational activities.
Why Work for CTY?
- Our students are highly motivated, and our programs focus on learning rather than grades.
- Our administrative, instructional, and residential staffs consist of dedicated educators and administrators from across the country and around the world.
- Deans of residential life gain valuable administrative experience and professional development in a supportive, collegial environment.
- Compensation is competitive.
The Dean of Residential Life’s Role
A member of the site administrative staff, the dean of residential life assumes primary responsibility for supervising the residential staff and directing the residential program. Specifically, the dean of residential life supervises the senior resident assistants and the resident assistants. In addition, the dean of residential life works closely with the academic dean(s) and other staff members involved with academic life to help integrate the residential and academic aspects of the program. The dean of residential life may be asked to assume the site director's responsibilities in the site director's absence.
The dean of residential life works seven days per week. The primary work hours for a dean of residential life cover the morning resident assistant and administrative staff meetings, mid-day planning time, activity periods, student social time and hall meeting time, and afternoon and evening office hours as coordinated with the site director. The dean of residential life may take some personal time each weekday, but personal time will vary. The dean of residential life is on duty each weekend, Friday to Sunday, including intersession.
- Residential, counseling, or teaching experience
- Graduate course work
- Supervisory experience
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Computer proficiency
Dates of Employment
- Two-session programs: June 18 - August 6, 2017
- First-session only residential programs: June 18 - July 16, 2017
- Two-session program at UC Santa Cruz: June 25 to August 13, 2017
Terms of Employment
- The first-year salary is $6,400 for a seven-week period.
- Room and board is provided; employees pay their own travel to and from program locations.
- Attendance the first weekend in June at an orientation in Baltimore, Friday to Sunday, June 2 to June 4 (no additional compensation, but CTY pays travel expenses and provides room and board)
- Telephone and email consultations throughout the year, as needed
How to Apply
Please fill out an online application at: http://cty.jhu.edu/jobs/summer.
Johns Hopkins University is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria. The university promotes affirmative action for minorities, women, disabled persons, and veterans.