Lowell School, a progressive school of approximately 300+ students in NW Washington, DC, is looking for a Part Time Middle School Dance Teacher.
The ideal candidate has experience teaching middle school in various dance styles including hip hop, jazz, ballet, tap, modern and creative movement. This position will require a varied schedule––including occasional evening performances—and include co-leading designated special events that occur on weekends and outside of regular school hours at the end of each term. In keeping with the mission of the school, a successful candidate will foster a safe learning environment that promotes individuality, equity, and cultural competency.
The successful candidate will:
- Possess a contagious enthusiasm for their craft
- Prepare lesson plans for classes
- Innovate and review dance curriculum, and propose new dance courses for subsequent school terms
- Create cross-disciplinary/integration opportunities
- Be flexible with space and scheduling of performances and class periods
- Identify resources, ideas, and strategies to ensure student achievement
- Build relationships with arts and other organizations in the region
- Regularly assess student achievement and skill mastery
- Participate in ongoing professional development, both regionally and nationally
- Create an outstanding environment for teaching and learning
- Manage classroom administration and record keeping including grades, attendance records, and student progress
- Regularly communicate with students and parents to share progress and opportunities
Experience with curriculum development, assessment strategies, a collaborative spirit, a ready sense of humor and experience with constructivist teaching/learning are preferred. Skill in theater technology a plus. If you wish to apply for the position, please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to Kavan Yee, Director of Middle School, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Letters of reference are highly encouraged.
Lowell School has a longstanding institutional commitment to the principles of diversity and inclusivity. Lowell prohibits any discrimination or harassment based on a person's race, color, gender, national origin, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, past or present military service, or any other ground prohibited by federal, District of Columbia, or other applicable law. This policy covers all aspects of employment, including hiring, promotions, termination, pay, and the work environment.