THE OPPORTUNITY: Hawai'i Preparatory Academy recently completed an ambitious strategic plan that capitalizes on the school's unparalleled cultural, ecological, and geographic location on Hawai'i Island. HPA has a strong international Admission program and is in the process of building a full Advancement team in preparation for a comprehensive fundraising campaign. In support of these and other initiatives, HPA seeks to hire a strategic communications leader. This is an inspiring opportunity for an experienced professional to build a program and establish a unique independent school brand in collaboration with the Head of School, Trustees, and senior administrative team. Professionals with a passion for the environment, project-based learning, multicultural education, or sustainability will find this a particularly compelling opportunity.
POSITION SUMMARY: Reporting to the Head of School and working as a member of the HPA senior administrative team, the Director will lead, plan, and implement overall strategies for marketing and communication on behalf of Hawai'i Preparatory Academy. The focus of the Director's work will be to raise HPA's visibility, increase admission applications, support an ambitious fundraising campaign, clarify messaging to target audiences, and to assume eventual leadership of a school brand process that is currently underway. The Director will oversee and actively contribute to the budgeting, conception, writing, design, and production of all HPA communication tactics, including print publications, e-newsletters, web and social media content (including film), and select HPA events. In addition, the Director will coordinate all advertising and public relations and serve as the school's spokesperson when so designated by the Head of School.
The Director of Marketing and Communication will advise and collaborate regularly with the Head of School, fellow senior administrators, and HPA trustees. The Director will oversee a team of one full-time staff member and multiple part-time FTEs.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Rapidly assimilate to HPA and its culture; thoroughly learn the history, vision, values, traditions, current activities, and constituencies of the school. Understand and articulate HPA's educational philosophy and goals. Thoroughly know and monitor all marketing and communication activities of the department.
- Develop and implement innovative marketing and communications strategies that demonstrate the value of an HPA education and drive HPA toward increased engagement among all internal and external constituencies.
- Collaborate with stakeholders and administrative departments in defining and expressing their purpose, goals, and ongoing work. Specifically this will include the Head of School, the Trustees, Admissions, Advancement, and all three school divisions.
- Create internal processes and guidelines necessary for the communications team to serve as the central communication provider for HPA departments. Use these processes to keep the HPA brand message consistent and compelling across all departments, activities, and events.
- Within the complex cultural context of Hawai'i and the diverse, multinational HPA 'ohana, develop strategies for successfully targeting each constituency, including: prospective students and their parents, educational consultants, students, faculty, staff, administrators, parents, alumni, the media, and the community at large.
- In collaboration with Admissions, design strategies and implement concrete plans to increase student applications and increase admission yield.
- In collaboration with Advancement, design strategies and implement concrete plans to engage alumni, parents, and friends and inspire increased, consistent giving.
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to magazine, e-newsletters, fundraising appeals, Admission materials, annual report, website and social media platforms.
- Review, revise, and update HPA's crisis communication plan. Serve as school spokesperson in times of crisis.
- Manage the annual communication budget with an eye toward cost efficiency and effectiveness.
- Provide staff leadership to the Communication Department in all respects. Promote a culture of high performance that values persuasive, competitive content, innovation, effective use of technology, and an error-free commitment to exceptional quality.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach while monitoring development goals and areas of accountability. Ensure on-brand results from staff, freelance writers and designers, print vendors, and other contractors.
- Engage actively in professional development in order to remain current in best practices related to independent school communications. Bring new ideas and strategies into the work of HPA's senior administrative team and HPA departments.
Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations or related field required.
Minimum 3 years of accomplished management-level experience with demonstrated expertise in strategic brand thinking and effective message management across multiple communication channels.
Exceptional writing, editing, and speaking skills with meticulous attention to detail, creativity, quality, and timeliness.
Demonstrated fluency with digital media and social platforms for marketing and communication purposes including web analytics, content development for social media and online advertising.
Demonstrated success in bringing regular, positive media and/or constituency attention to an organization.
Demonstrated success in supervising and managing a staff.
Demonstrated ability to develop, monitor, and adhere to schedules and budgets
A strong track record of managing multiple concurrent initiatives with competing deadlines.
PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS :
The successful candidate should be:
A mission-driving individual with a belief in and commitment to education in general and to the mission, values, and vision of HPA specifically.
A self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives in a collaborative manner.
Someone with high energy, perspicacity, and leadership who can serve as a unifying force and position communications discussions at both strategic and tactical levels.
A good listener and strategist; able to receive input from many different sources and formulate that detail into a well-organized plan.
A relationship builder who is both dauntless and tactful; respectful of others' concerns but with the finesse to persuade and "manage by influence."
A team builder who understands the subtleties of motivating and directing a diverse group of personalities with different work styles.
A level-headed individual with a good sense of humor and the sensitivity to work with diverse, complex communities and individuals.
Please send a letter of interest, resume, and brief portfolio of work to Michelle Guppy by Sunday, June 18, 2017.
Additional Salary Information: Comprehensive Benefits package for this 12-month Administrator position.
Hawai`i Preparatory Academy, founded in 1949, is an independent coeducational school providing a full range of opportunities for students from kindergarten through grade 12. Our boarding program admits students in grades 9 through 12.
The school has two campuses in the town of Waimea (Kamuela) on the island of Hawai`i. The Lower and Middle Schools are located on nine acres in the heart of Hawai...`i's ranching country, while the Upper School is located just two miles away on a 200-acre campus at the foot of the Kohala Mountains.