Waring School, a co-educational, independent day school with 165 students in grades 6-12 in Beverly, MA, seeks a part-time School Nurse (RN) for the remainder of the academic year, 2017-2018, with the potential opportunity for continued employment. Our ideal candidate brings both skills and experience as a nurse, as well as an eagerness to be part of a school community in a progressive, liberal arts setting.
Waring’s School Nurse promotes and protects the health and well-being of the students and embodies the school’s mission through this work. The Nurse serves as the go-to person for all health concerns at Waring School. This position requires care, strong communication skills, initiative, careful follow-through, the ability to work with a diverse population, and a willingness to uphold the core values and ethic of our school. The Nurse provides health assessments as an RN, communicating with parents and faculty as appropriate, manages student health plans and the school’s online Magnus Health Records, and coordinates with key personnel at the school as appropriate, from the Dean of Students, the Director of Athletics, and the Associate Head and Head of School, to the school’s professional health consultants off-campus. The Nurse reports to the Head of School.
The Nurse’s role includes, but may not be limited to, the following:
• Applies nursing practice to the unique needs of school-age individuals and groups at Waring
• Follows state and local health practice statutes and administrative guidelines
• Utilizes existing health resources to provide appropriate care of students
• Administers basic health care and First Aid for the purpose of providing appropriate care for ill and/or injured children.
• Serves as a medical resource and health advocate for students and staff
• Provides supervision in accordance with state regulations for the Athletic Trainer(s) and any staff or chaperone(s) working with students on or off-campus who may need to give medical assistance to students
• Assumes the responsibility of appropriate health assessment, planning, intervention, evaluation, management and referrals for students
• Plays a key role in identifying health concerns and treatment measures, providing instruction, counseling, and guidance in the maintenance of good health practices and disease prevention
• Administers over the counter medication and medication with doctor’s orders included, supervising prescribed medical treatments and medication administration
• Provides assessment, planning, intervention, evaluation, management, and referral for appropriate medical care of students with acute/chronic health conditions and in emergency situations
• Oversees all aspects and components of the Nurse’s office and other emergency/medical equipment for school use
• Works with others in the School’s administrative team to implement and update the School’s Emergency/Crisis Response Plans
• Assists in the development or revision of policies, procedures, and work standards for the school health program
• Monitors compliance with current state immunization and health assessment requirements in auditing student records, compiling information and submitting reports to the Massachusetts Department of Public Health on topics of vaccination, prevalence of asthma & diabetes, and screening results
• Interprets student health care needs to families and school staff • Educates families through written communication and verbal contacts to encourage follow-through of health care referrals • Educates students, staff, and parents/guardians regarding medication administration, medical procedures needed at school, acute/chronic illness management, prevention and control of communicable diseases, acute/chronic illness management, emergency care, and other health-related issues
Requirements for this position include:
Up-to-date licensure in Massachusetts as an RN
A Bachelor’s Degree
Additionally, Waring’s ideal candidate has:
Certification to teach CPR
Experience in pediatrics and/or school settings
Waring School offers salary commensurate with experience as well as excellent benefits. An equal opportunity employer, Waring seeks to increase the diversity of the community and is committed to maintaining an equitable and fulfilling workplace environment.
Waring School is a co-educational, academic college preparatory school serving 164 students in Grades 6-12 in Beverly, MA, on Boston's North Shore. Founded in 1972, Waring offers challenging academics, extensive studio and performing arts, championship athletics, and a rich curriculum of French immersion and cultural exchange programs. Student travel is part of the program at all levels, including two trips to Europe in Grades 9 and 11. Waring uses multi-age groupings and offers numerous opportunities for student leadership. Located on a former farm of 32 acres in a beautiful backwoods area of Beverly, Waring is convenient to all coastal towns and 30 minutes by commuter rail to Boston. Its college placement record is excellent.