Submit to: Lisa Grider, Chair – Search Committee, 91 South Orange Avenue, Livingston, NJ 07039; email@example.com
One of the oldest independent day schools in the United States, Newark Academy is a thriving community of 597 students grades 6-12, with an outstanding faculty and consistent administrative and Board leadership. Located in suburban Northern New Jersey, Newark Academy is a highly selective (acceptance rate of approximately 18 percent), academically rigorous school distinguished by the deep connections fostered between students and teachers, a commitment to diversity of people and ideas, and an institution-wide commitment to excellence.
The new Director of Admission and Enrollment Management will join a dynamic group of administrators and will motivate and manage a five-person team that is responsible for all aspects of Newark Academy’s student recruitment, enrollment and financial aid services. The Director will represent the Academy to a range of constituent groups both within and beyond the campus and has primary responsibility for fostering relationships with prospective students and their families in support of Newark Academy’s enrollment targets and student engagement goals.
Duties and Responsibilities
Process for Applying
Submit the following documents to Lisa Grider, Chair – Search Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than March 1, 2018:
* Cover letter
* Current resume
* Single page essay entitled “Why Newark Academy, Why Now?”
Application review will begin March 1, 2018.
Candidate on-campus interviews will begin the week of March 26, 2018.
* Effectively represent Newark Academy as a warm and welcoming community through strong public speaking and interpersonal communication skills and ongoing demonstration of integrity and respect for students, parents, alumni and colleagues.
* Promote the mission and values of Newark Academy by developing and refining strategies to attract, engage and retain students and families who share enthusiasm for Newark Academy’s curricular and programming approach to education.
* Provide ongoing review and innovative implementation of Newark Academy’s admission and enrollment management processes including prospective student identification, application, admission, enrollment, re-enrollment and the awarding of financial aid.
* Provide expertise and services as a primary resource to the Head of School and the administrative team in strategic decision-making related to matters of institutional identity, brand integrity, student recruitment, student retention and financial aid.
* Coordinate the execution of engagement activities and events, including school fairs, on-campus information sessions, in-home recruitment events, “yield” events and new student orientation/welcoming programs.
* Foster broad support of Newark Academy’s admission process by engaging division directors, faculty department chairs and key administrators in the overall process and creating opportunities for their input in decision-making.
* Work collaboratively with the Director of Business and Finance to address Newark Academy’s access and affordability goals through sound management and distribution of the Academy’s financial aid funds.
* Work collaboratively with the Director of Communications and the Board of Trustee’s Institutional Identity subcommittee to communicate clearly the unique value proposition and distinguishing brand of Newark Academy to prospective students and their families through appropriate mass and social media channels.
* Work collaboratively with the Director of Advancement, the Director of Athletics, the Director of Equity and Inclusion, and the Chairman of the Arts department to meet Newark Academy goals related to the overall quality and capabilities of each incoming class.
* Update and maintain a system of analytics related to all phases of enrollment management, providing reports in a regular, timely and consistent manner.
* Provide enthusiastic and inspiring leadership to the admission and enrollment management staff by clearly articulating expectations and supporting staff members’ professional development.
* Develop and provide ongoing management of departmental budgets.
The most successful members of the Newark Academy faculty, administration and staff are those individuals who truly seek a school community. Toward that end, the new Director of Admission and Enrollment Management may be asked to take on responsibilities beyond those outlined above. Further, the Director will be encouraged, as all Newark Academy employees are, to remain open to opportunities to serve as an advisor, coach, organization sponsor or chaperone during the school year.
* Five-to-seven years of experience in school admission/enrollment management settings (independent school or higher education), preferably demonstrating success in a senior administrative role
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and a demonstrated commitment to work collaboratively and courteously with students, parents, alumni and colleagues
* Strong writing, public speaking, and planning skills
* Strong organization skills and goal-orientation, with the proven ability to motivate and guide a team to the attainment of shared objectives
* An ability to approach opportunities and challenges with critical and creative thinking; confidence to launch initiatives, and analytic skills to evaluate success
* High professional and ethical standards and impeccable handling of confidential information
* Experience with admission/enrollment management software, preferably InReasonance (Portal) or a similar enrollment database system
* Expertise in Microsoft Office suite
* Ability to travel and work evenings and weekends as needed (estimated 20 percent)
Additional Salary Information: Commensurate with Experience
About Newark Academy
Newark Academy, a co-educational, independent, nonsectarian, college-preparatory, Grades 6-12 day school in Livingston, NJ. Founded in 1774, Newark Academy is the second oldest day school in the state of New Jersey, and one of 11 pre-Revolutionary schools still operating in the United States. In 1964, the Academy moved from Newark to it's current location in Livingston, NJ and, in 1971, became fully co-educational.
Mission Statement : Newark Academy will contribute to society thoughtful and compassionate citizens who embrace their responsibilities as ethical, intellectual and civic stewards in the global environment.