To view the job positing and to apply via the online employment application, please visit the employment page of our website at https://www.thepegasusschool.org/page/about/employment
Job Purpose : The basic purpose of this job is to teach content and skills in English language, literature and composition to students in an effort to promote physical, mental and social development.
Examples of Essential Functions : 1. Develop expansive curriculum including but not limited to written expression, reading comprehension, oral communication and study skills, which promote the development of social, emotional, cognitive and academic skills.
2. Participate in the curricular development of the English department and collaborate with colleagues on teaching techniques and classroom initiatives.
3. Be comfortable incorporating the use of iPads, laptops, online course management systems, and Google tools as a means for students to write papers, research topics, share work, submit assignments, and take assessments in a classroom setting.
4. Use a wide variety of creative and learner-centered teaching methods, such as collaborative activities, interactive simulations, active reading, written work, Socratic circles, oral presentations, role play and class discussions.
5. Plans and implements units through which students develop an appreciation of literature as a study of the human condition while also developing fundamental skills in writing, reading comprehension, grammar, note-taking, research, as well as higher order skills in analysis, synthesis, and creativity.
6. Develop student’s vocabulary and ability to analyze literature for plot line, character development and elements of the story.
7. Observe and evaluate student’s performance, behavior, and social development; making recommendations to the student, his or her parents, and/or the learning and support team as necessary.
8. Manage frequent and ongoing verbal and written communication with students, parents and colleagues.
9. Differentiate classroom materials and presentations as needed to allow for learning differences among students.
10. Determine instructional materials designed to achieve goals and objectives; select books appropriate to the interest and maturity level of students.
11. Explore essential concepts and key texts relating to the impact of stories, how novels influence our morality, the meanings of words, the power of how individuals use words, and how words from different eras and cultures inform writing and thinking.
12. Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order.
13. Perform other Middle School duties, including chaperoning field trips (including one week-long outdoor education trip) and dances, serving as an advisor, teaching electives, performing duties (such as carpool), and attending meetings.
14. Prepare, administer and grade tests, classwork and homework in order to evaluate student’s progress.
15. At all times maintain appropriate boundaries between student and adult.
16. Convey a positive image of The Pegasus School at all times when working with students, parents, employees and the public.
Required – Employee should have a Bachelor’s degree in English Literature, Education or the like, possess Elementary (Multiple Subject) teaching credential, Single Subject (English) credential or the like and three years of classroom experience.
Desirable – Master’s degree in the area of English, adolescent development, education or the like; and five or more years of independent school classroom experience.