Sierra Canyon School is an academically excellent, college preparatory school committed to an empowering environment in which student realize their greatest intellectual, creative, ethical, and physical promise. We are defined by an energized, attentive, and diverse student-teacher culture. Sierra Canyon is a special place to grow for the challenges of a fast-changing world.
Job Summary: Our nurturing Early Learning Program guides our student’s first school years. Our Pre-Kindergarten / Kindergarten teachers foster a child’s intellectual and moral development in equal measure, paving the way to adventurous and meaningful achievement. By starting with a carefully calibrated, developmentally sound program, our earliest learners develop an especially strong foundation for lifelong learning.
At Sierra Canyon School we are committed to Learning forward characterized by the following:
Stretching academically: Sierra Canyon’s ingenious teachers and intrepid students think and work together to understand the world more deeply – and change it for the better.
Imagining expansively: In a city renowned for performing and visual artistry, Sierra Canyon cultivates a child’s most insightful self.
Competing wholeheartedly: We recognize that winning takes many forms. By always striving to do better than yesterday, on and off the field, our students live out their most cherished values.
Engaging compassionately: A Sierra Canyon education is more than a personal journey. It’s a mindset and a toolset, empowering children to solve real-world problems.
Exploring avidly: In every grade level, we offer children exceptional opportunities to learn outside of the classroom.
Preparing continuously: Sierra Canyon students are invincibly optimistic about their next steps in life. That’s because our momentum-building program equips them to rethink the familiar and embrace the unknown.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include:
• Experience with curriculum development as a collaborative process and a viable means of improving learning and instruction
• Belief in and ability to utilize responsive teaching to meet the developmental needs of individual students through differentiated instruction
• Warm and welcoming presence with students and parents alike
• Effective communicator and team player
• Understanding of best practices as it relates to social and emotional growth within this developmental band
• Vast knowledge and understanding of the developmental needs of young children
• Degree in Early Childhood Education or similar; graduate degree or credential in this area preferred
• Joy in working with four, five, and six-year students and in making learning fun and engaging
• A minimum of 3-5 years’ experience working as a lead teacher in a primary grade level (preferably Pre-K / Kindergarten) in an independent school setting
• Exhibit initiative, responsibility, adaptability, creativity, and flexibility
About Sierra Canyon School
Sierra Canyon School is a college preparatory, co-educational day school located on two campuses in the heart of Los Angeles’ San Fernando Valley. For over 30 years, the School has been a leader in quality elementary and middle school education, and seven years ago, it opened an academically rigorous upper school which today is thriving. With a student:teacher ratio averaging 16:1 and grade level sizes averaging 75 – 110, Sierra Canyon School emphasizes the core values of community and excellence in its philosophy and approach. In early 2008, grades 7 - 12 moved into a custom-built, state-of-the-art academic classroom building which enables teachers and students alike to thrive. In the spring of 2012 the school opened its doors to a newly built athletic fields and a state-of-the-art gymnasium.