Reporting Relationships: Reports to Canon Director of Music
Job summary: The Voice and Music Theory Instructor is the primary music faculty for choristers in the Grace Cathedral Choir of Men and Boys, all students at Cathedral School for Boys. The candidate will be a professional singer and/or have professional vocal training (Master’s degree or equivalent preferred). The candidate will be expected to know Kodaly method Solfege, have some skill at the piano and/or organ and be familiar with the liturgical year in the Anglican/Episcopal tradition.
• Responsible for teaching grade classes with lesson planning tailored to the individual and immediate needs of students
• Develop and maintain a core curriculum including writing and administering examinations for the ribbon program and submitting evaluations and grades as required by Cathedral School for Boys
• Submit grades and progress reports for each student according to CSB schedule
• Develop and teach group voice/class voice lessons each spring using non-liturgical music for performance during dinner breaks on Thursdays
• Assist Director of Music in auditioning second-grade class for entrance to choir program
• Attend morning rehearsals and Hymn Sing
• Attend annual Choir Camp at Bishop’s Ranch (typically 3rd week in August)
• Accompany the choir in a staff capacity on regional and international tours (typically every three years)
• Offer suggestions and feedback to the Director of Music during rehearsals as necessary
• Accompany the choir on piano or organ as necessary
• Coach foreign-language diction
• Supervise choirboys during study hall or playtime on Thursdays and other times when the choirboys are not singing (such as concert intermissions)
• Listen and report balance issues with orchestra
• Assist head choristers during processional rehearsals as necessary
• Audition and coach solos for choristers
• Assist Director of Music in choir camp and tour repertoire programming
• Attend Liturgy Meetings as necessary
• Offer input on shaping department policy, including editing Camerata, Choir Guild and Choirmen’s Handbooks
• Offer private coaching to cathedral clergy and Bishop as requested
• In collaboration with the Music Administrator, review and revise music department calendar each season
• Attend department staff meetings
• Attend cathedral staff meetings
• Minimum Bachelor of Music in Vocal Performance or Education
• Minimum two years previous teaching experience working with children in a classroom setting
• Fluency in Kodály movable-Do solfège with Curwen hand signals
• Strong keyboard skills, including accompaniment at sight and transposition
• Ability to work with musicians at all skill levels
Personal Qualities Required:
• Love of teaching choristers
• Demonstrates ingenuity and flexibility in quickly changing scenarios
• Demonstrates enthusiasm about a wide range of repertoire
About Grace Cathedral
Cathedral School for Boys, founded in 1957, strives to provide education in the best tradition of the Episcopal Church and in consonance with the mission of Grace Cathedral. We believe that this education is derived from three main sources: the highest academic and personal standards humanely applied; building a diverse community united in its concern for the school and for the world; and an active engagement with religion and the spiritual dimension.
To provide an excellent education for boys at the elementary level.
To attract a diverse student body of strong academic potential.
To provide a school committed to intellectual inquiry and rigor, centered in the Episcopal tradition, respectful of and welcoming to people of all religious traditions and beliefs.
To develop social responsibility through exemplary programs of outreach and service.
To create a community bonded by open-heartedness, hope, compassion and concern.