The Cathedral School of St. John the Divine, a K-8 institution located on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, seeks a Math teacher for grades 7 and 8. The Math teacher reports directly to the Head of the Upper School. Teacher Responsibilities:
• Teaches five classes per six-day cycle to two different sections of 7th Grade Math and two different sections of 8th Grade Math.
• Intense focus on Pre-Algebra and Algebra I course work.
• Focus on development of not only algorithmic understanding, but also deeper conceptual problem-solving comprehension.
• Uses mathematics to develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and collaborative skills.
• Will serve as an advisor for approximately seven students. Responsibilities include advocating for the students, communicating with parents about advisees’ progress, guiding advisees through daily school life, sharing information, and leading discussions.
• Attends regular guidance meetings for Grades 7 & 8 with student support teams to discuss student concerns.
• Collaborates with the 5th and 6th Grade Math teacher and 6th-8th Grade Learning Specialist to coordinate a clear scope and sequence from grade to grade in terms of both subject matter and skill development.
• Collaborates with the Learning Specialist and School Psychologist when appropriate to ensure students are being fully supported and challenged. Parent Communication:
• Leads parent/teacher conferences twice yearly.
• Writes comments twice yearly for students in Grades 7 & 8.
• Is proactive and consistent in parent communication.
• Attends Wednesday afternoon meetings.
• Periodically monitors lunch and recess, as well as bus or porch.
• Accompanies Upper School on overnight trip in the fall.
• Plays an essential role in the 8th Grade exmissions process, writing letters of recommendation and supporting standardized test prep as needed.
• Is available for other school events and activities as needed.
Please send cover letter and resume to Josh Deitch at firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls, please.
About The Cathedral School
The Cathedral School of St. John the Divine is an independent, Episcopal, K-8 day school for girls and boys of all faiths. The School is committed to a rigorous academic program that integrates the arts, athletics, and leadership development. Located on New York City’s Upper West Side on the 13-acre Close of the Cathedral, the School offers a unique setting for the celebration of the many traditions shared by its families. The School prides itself in being a diverse community in partnership with families who take an active role in their children’s intellectual, ethical, social, and emotional growth. The Cathedral School offers a stimulating environment in which each child can become an articulate, confident, and responsible citizen of the world. Continuing a century-old relationship, the School draws upon the Cathedral’s vast resources and provides its children’s choir.