Exciting opportunity to develop the enormous potential of young women at a school where girls are empowered to lead.
Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart is one of 24 Sacred Heart schools in the United States and Canada. Sacred Heart education at Woodlands Academy is distinctive and emphasizes best practices for the education of girls and innovative practices for academic excellence. Established in 1858, the school forms global citizens and transforms young women within a dynamic of relationships that responds to the dignity of each member of the school community.
Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart is seeking a full-time English teacher for the 2018 – 2019 academic year. The English teacher is a committed educator who will challenge students to perform at their best. Woodlands Academy believes that a multicultural perspective is an essential element of a 21st Century education and values diversity in its student body, faculty, and staff.
The teacher will report to the Assistant Principal and Principal, and join a highly collaborative, innovative, and experienced faculty.
· Maintain Woodlands’ excellent writing and literature program by instructing 5 credit courses at the college preparatory, and honors level
· Support, implement, and model the Goals and Criteria for Sacred Heart Schools
· Demonstrate appropriate planning and preparation for instruction and assessment
· Develop and maintain a classroom atmosphere that inspires learning
· Provide academic support for students outside of the class time
· Uphold professional standards of personal presentation, discretion, punctuality, and clear, direct, open communication
· Lead an advisory of approximately 8 -10 girls (academic counseling, community building, parent communication, conferencing) or moderate a club
· Engage in the life of the school (presence at assemblies, meeting, events, etc.)
· Participate in school-wide, departmental, and mentor team meetings
· Coaching not required but a plus.
Requirements and Qualifications
· Bachelor’s degree in English or related subject matter; master’s degree is preferred
· Minimum two years’ experience teaching high school, preferably in a single-gender setting
· Expertise in the areas of teaching analytical and critical thinking, grammar, reading, writing, and literature
· A sound knowledge of current pedagogical theory and practice, and eagerness to continue learning
· The ability to develop and implement an effective and engaging curriculum as a highly competent teacher
· Knowledge of adolescent development and effective classroom practice for the high school classroom
· The ability to build positive relationships with high school students and be a powerful student mentor
· The ability to draw people in for collaboration, curriculum development, and problem solving and be a trusted and sought-after colleague
· A high-level of familiarity and competence across cultures and multiple perspectives
· A genuine understanding or willingness to learn/understand the culture, community, and the demands students feel on a daily basis
· The ability to differentiate classroom instruction for students with varied learning styles or specific learning challenges
· A familiarity and competence in technology skills; should be proficient with current educational technology and willing to develop skills in technology areas as needed
· Superb communication skills, including excellent verbal/written skills, in order to collaborate with Student Support Team, parents, students, and faculty
· Strong people skills in order to be empathetic to the needs of the students and their parents
· A willingness to be an active, enthusiastic member of the WA community.
· Upon employment: completion of Virtus: Protecting God’s Children training and successful completion of criminal offender record information and sexual offender registry information checks.
An equal opportunity employer, Woodlands Academy seeks to hire outstanding and diverse faculty who work together harmoniously toward the common mission of the school.
Please complete the application materials listed on the Employment web page of the school’s website at woodlandsacademy.org. All applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, three written references, and a Faculty Job Application.
Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart is an all-girls, Catholic, college preparatory day and boarding school in Lake Forest, IL. Visit the school’s website at www.woodlandsacademy.org and the website of the Network of Sacred Heart Schools at www.sacredheartusc.education.
Woodlands Academy is an equal opportunity employer. Woodlands Academy does not discriminate against any individual on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, age, disability, status as a veteran or being a member of the Reserves or National Guard, or any other classification protected under state or federal law.