Horizons at Dedham Country Day School (DCD) is an award-winning program that helps build brighter futures for low-income children in the Greater Boston area. Modeled after the national Horizons Student Enrichment Program, Horizons’ intensive six-week summer program is designed to prevent summer decline in academic performance and close the opportunity and achievement gaps. Working in partnership with Horizons families, sending schools in Dedham and Boston, and the host school, Horizons at DCD is committed to developing the whole child and offers activities that promote higher-level thinking and perspective, leadership development and boost self-efficacy – all while raising student aspirations and expectations for their lives. For more information about Horizons, please visit www.horizonsgreaterboston.org.
Horizons at DCD is seeking a dedicated and effective Social Worker with a dynamic talent for creating and nurturing a lifelong love of learning in children. We are looking for a talented, passionate, caring professional who will work as a team player to support this vibrant program, fulfill the Horizons mission, while creating a joyous, inclusive, inspiring and educational culture.
Essential Job Functions:
· Address the psychological and social well-being of students
· Provide information and counseling and help students, parents and school staff work together to solve problems by communicating and providing referrals to other resources
· Help students function effectively at Horizons
· Assess areas in which students may require assistance or counseling
· Assist in remediation by providing treatment plans or counseling
· Participate in daily meals with the students, attend Family Night and Faculty Meetings, and other duties that may be required.
· Willingness to drive to and from local field trips.
Required to attend two Super Saturdays June 3rd and 10th. Social Workers are also required to attend training sessions prior to the start of the program.
· A strong desire to help make a difference in the lives of low-income students from Dedham and Boston
· Experience working with elementary aged children
· Proven work experience as a social worker
· Working knowledge of social theories and practices
· Ability to build and maintain professional helping relationships
· Ability to relate and communicate with diverse population and groups
BS degree in social work (BSW), psychology or sociology