Albuquerque Academy, a co-ed, independent day school, seeks a Director of Diversity and Inclusion to serve as a vital member of the administrative team. Albuquerque Academy has a diverse student body, comprising over 50% students of color and 22% of students receiving financial assistance, and our mission is one of excellence, opportunity, caring, and inclusion.
This person will provide year-round, mission-critical support to ensure that the Academy community is a welcoming, inclusive, and culturally competent place where adults and children can thrive. Reporting to the Head of School, the Director of Diversity and Inclusion will help to develop a vision and plan for improving student and faculty culture in terms of cultural competence, responsiveness, and sophistication in dealing with issues of diversity. The Director will also be called upon to represent the school in various external capacities. We expect that the Director's role will evolve as the school continues to make progress in its work toward becoming a more just, inclusive, and self-aware community.
The successful candidate will contribute to the Academy's mission by demonstrating exceptional abilities in the following areas: embodying a passionate and enthusiastic commitment to diversity as essential to an Academy education; working empathetically with diverse constituencies; managing multiple initiatives and priorities simultaneously; planning and sometimes leading trainings for faculty, staff, students, and parents to help the community grow in cultural competence; serving as a resource for all members of the community needing help navigating culturally sensitive situations; and providing general and strategic leadership around diversity and inclusion.
The duties of this administrative 11-month contract will include:
• Assisting student transition into the Academy and supporting and advocating for students throughout their careers here.
• Participating in school committees, including the head of school, chairs and division heads, and IDEA (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Access) Council committees, and others as needed.
• Acting as a liaison between the school and the Multicultural Parent Councils (ex: meeting monthly with MPC chairs).
• Partnering with Think Summer to oversee the Multicultural Summer Honors Program and facilitating the selection process, involving Multicultural Parent Council volunteers.
• Serving as a resource for the faculty and staff in the areas of diversity and equity, to include: helping to plan and implement faculty and staff training, curriculum development, outreach and admission activities, and hiring.
• Working toward developing a diversity/inclusion program that spans the 6-12 experience.
• Contributing to other areas of the school, as needed.
The successful candidate will have a bachelor's degree in a related field (master's preferred), excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and flexibility. We expect all members of our school community to model patience, compassion, a sense of humor, and empathy. Also this position will require excellent conflict resolution skills. We prefer candidates who have experience in independent schools, with students in grades 6-12. Previous leadership roles in multicultural and diversity work, and experience working with diverse communities is highly desirable. We encourage applications from groups traditionally underrepresented in independent school communities and are seeking someone with a demonstrated commitment to students, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
DEADLINE TO APPLY & SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS Applicants are asked to submit a letter of interest and resume. Position is open until filled. Please click here to Apply Contact Jade Valenzuela (hiring committee chair) email@example.com with any questions.
About Albuquerque Academy
Albuquerque Academy is a leading independent, coeducational, day school serving approximately 1,200 students in grades six through twelve. The Academy’s resources are committed to a mission comprising accessibility, affordability, excellence, caring, and outreach as we serve the greater Albuquerque area. As part of this mission, the school has attracted some of the finest students and educators in the country to its extensive facilities on a natural 312-acre site within the city limits of Albuquerque. For further information about the Academy we encourage interested candidates to go to the school’s web site at www.aa.edu .