Rancho Solano Preparatory School science teachers should be prepared to follow our collaboratively developed curriculum and seeks a skilled and enthusiastic Biology teacher with the ability to teach Biology full-time at the advanced levels in the high school and beginning levels in the middle school in a rigorous academic setting.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and relate to the unique educational needs of gifted students in the middle and/or upper school environment
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement an appropriately challenging curriculum for gifted students
- The ability and disposition to mentor and coach mainstream classroom teachers in their work with gifted and talented students
- Comprehensive knowledge of curriculum and instruction
- Ability to function as a student achievement advocate and advisor
- In depth understanding of all elements, goals, instructional best practice strategies, as well as the ability to clearly articulate the plan to parents and students.
- Outstanding listening skills
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills
- Highly developed presentation skills
- Effective organizational skills including but not limited to lesson planning, implementing units of study, differentiating instruction, designing and implementing assessments
- Ability to monitor student progress and report information in a timely manner
- Ability to manage, delegate and monitor tasks
- Highly developed collaborative leadership skills and the ability to work well with and through others
- Ability to prioritize and to expend allotted resources in alignment with stated academic priorities
- Ability to foster and maintain a positive school climate
- Implement the established curriculum as described
- Select and plan appropriate learning and teaching activities that are in alignment with RSPS standards.
- Exercise good classroom management with the use of fair and consistent standards and appropriate sanctions that are clearly articulated to the students
- Encourage students to ask questions and to express their difficulties.
- Know and use a wide range of assessment strategies consistent with course content and objectives.
- Provide reports on student progress and maintain open communication with ensuring that these reports are accurate and constructive
- Differentiate instruction and assessment to meet the diverse needs of students
- Identify students who need additional academic assistance and be able to refer such students appropriately.
- Provide opportunities for student expression using spoken, written, and electronic forms of communication.
- Develop lessons that engage students in higher order thinking
- Provide a safe learning environment in which students can take intellectual risks.
- Use learning resources and technology to enhance lessons where appropriate
- Create a stimulating and challenging learning environment with effective use being made of classroom displays.
- Develop student cooperation and tolerance through group work.
- Create an environment that fosters a global citizen mind set.
- Create an atmosphere of mutual respect.
- Assist students in taking responsibility for their own actions.
- Encourage students to set realistic goals and to use their time in a constructive and balanced manner.
- Encourage students to participate in the co-curricula life of the school.
- Assign homework that is meaningful and appropriate
- Attend all meetings, as required.
- Maintain student portfolios and facilitate student led conference following division requirements
A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree is required. Masters Degree preferred in subject matter.
State certification, if applicable
5+ years experience
Minimum of two years teaching experience required
Knowledge of relevant technology as it relates to curriculum
Prior experience teaching in the Middle or High School setting