Inly School is a private independent pre K-8 Montessori School located in Scituate, Mass., 25 miles south of Boston. It serves 290 students from 20 towns on the south shore. The campus has 10 acres, occupies 7 buildings including a newly constructed innovation and classroom center, and large/small playing fields.
The Facilities Manager is responsible for planning and performing the day-to-day work for buildings and grounds operations. He/she organizes and oversees the work of School’s custodian, outside contractors, and takes on work in hands-on way. This role involves working closely with the Head of School, and assisting the Business Manager with contract vendor selection, budget development, and Town official relationships.
• Oversees a full-time custodian who handles the essential central services including opening buildings, repairs, general maintenance, emergencies (clean-up), disposal/recycling, as well as traffic control. This oversight includes approving all overtime hours worked by the custodian.
• Manages outside contractors handling major projects and repairs/renovations; and reviewing work done on HVAC, electrical, plumbing, septic, and alarm systems. Includes management of 3rd party services such as cleaning, landscaping (pest control), snow removal, air/soil quality testing, and emergency services, all with the objective of achieving high-quality workmanship and meeting budget, and scheduling work at times most suitable for School.
• Oversees building security including working with town police and fire, alarm monitoring service, “key” inventory, after School lock-up, and adequacy of exterior lighting (as day light changes).
• Responds appropriately to emergencies or urgencies including but not limited to problems that may arise with fire and septic alarms, water (and roof) leakages, snow removal, vandalism, dangerous walkways, parking lots, stairs, outdoor playground safety hazards. Includes problems involving HVAC and irrigation systems, sprinkler, plumbing, carpentry, electrical, lighting, and removal of insects/wild animals.
• Promotes safety policies and practices. Performs facilities/equipment inspections and safety assessments plus regular facility walk-throughs to assess problems/potential risks to structures, maintenance, utilities, security, and safety. Provides right fixes. This also involves clearing egress paths for snow falls, visible signage for fire evacuations, participating in Parent Safety group meetings, and liaising with the School’s outside emergency services contractor.
• Manages inventories of maintenance supplies, tools, and equipment. Provides Accountant with monthly order needing to be purchased.
• Works closely with Advancement team and/or Head of School to coordinate on-campus event needs (mainly in the Artsbarn) for plays, concerts, speakers, student and family activities, outside tenants, and the like. This involves set up and take down of chairs, tables, and furniture, and movement in and out of storage.
• Monitors septic systems and provides weekly reporting to Business Manager. Produces septic reports anddocumentation required by town in timely manner, including annual Title V inspections.
• Recognizes and communicates to Business Manager issues that need to be resolved.
• Works closely with public and town officials.
• Ability to prioritize and plan work activities, using employee time efficiently.
• Ability to manage, evaluate and motivate staff.
• Ability to work independently and, at same time, supervise work crew. Follow-through with vendors who may be slow to complete job or provide answers.
• Ability to respond quickly to emergencies and special requests of Head of School and Assistant Head of School. Flexibility to accommodate such request.
• Concern about spending, obtaining competitive bids as necessary, and selecting most cost-effective solutions.
• Understands safety/security issues related to work crew is performing, ensuring employees handle equipment and materials properly.
• Ability to communicate effectively with students, faculty, staff, and parents. Appreciation of interconnectedness of Inly staff working to support students; Strong sensitivity to cultural/ethnic diversity.
• Ability to operate basic computer programs such as email and MS Office Word; and use copy and fax machine; telephone; mobile cell or device; automobile; various maintenance equipment.
• Patience and sense of humor is a big plus.
• High School education.
• Minimum of 10 years of facilities operational experience or related “handy-man” experience.
• Strong knowledge of buildings and grounds systems including HVAC, plumbing, and electrical workings.
Normal hours are 9:00 am – 3:00 pm (6 hours a day) Monday through Friday. The Facilities Manger will work in all types of facilities and outdoors in all types of weather (except under dangerous conditions). Job will require occasional night and weekend work. It is a “physical” job which requires bending, reaching, working on surfaces ranging from ceilings to floors, and crawl spaces; twisting and lifting up to 50 pounds on a regular basis.
WORK YEAR: This is a part-time full-year position contracted from July 1st through June 30th of each year.
To apply for this position, please email your resumé to Alan Boyer, Business Manager: email@example.com
About Inly School
Located on Boston’s South Shore, Inly School is a progressive co-educational day school for students in toddler through 8th grade. Inly blends Montessori curriculum and philosophy with educational best practices to teach core subjects, world languages, arts, athletics, and life skills in a highly experiential and individualized manner.