Tower Hill School is launching an innovative computer science curriculum based on the real-world need for computer science fluency in science, math, and business. We teach practical coding skills that will be immediately useful beyond the classroom and will help our students gain entrance to the most competitive college programs in the country.
This position will teach primarily in the Upper School but will have influence over curriculum taught K-12. Primary responsibilities include the teaching of an advanced computer science curriculum, teaching computer science electives, teaching in a flexible independent study format, overseeing the computer science lab, supporting asynchronous learning, supporting clubs and supporting auxiliary programs.
Emphasizing practical coding skills, the candidate’s goal would be to help Tower Hill students use technology in creative ways to expand their understanding of other subjects. The ideal candidate will be able to help students implement real-world projects, prepare students for college, and be able to answer varied questions from self-learners.
- A Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctorate (in computer science preferred but not necessary).
- A passion for teaching.
- Experience and interest in teaching or working with children; experience working with children in a teaching, coaching, or mentoring capacity.
- Skills, talents, and flexibility for contributing to the independent school community in additional capacities. For example: Coaching, advising extracurricular activities, etc.
- The ability to promote thoughtful, inquiry-focused dialogue in the classroom.
- The ability to differentiate instruction to meet a range of student abilities; Empathy and patience and an ability to encourage students of all levels; Ability to provide additional challenges to students who are excelling, and provide and encourage open and honest communication.
- A love and enthusiasm for using technology and working with computers.
- A wealth of real-world industry experience and technical expertise that you are eager to share; an understanding of the core concepts of professional software development;
- Comfort leading fluid discussions: the ability to go off the lecture track to give dynamic, real-world examples and explore new metaphors on request.- The ability to create hands-on learning experiences that will introduce students to algorithmic thinking, coding, physical computing, and robotics using design thinking and a project-based approach.
- Familiarity with some or all of Python, Django, Wordpress, Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Java, Lego Mindstorms, First Robotics, Basic and AP Computer Programming, Scratch Programming, MIT App Inventor, MATLAB, HADOOP, SQL, and Big Data tools.
- The background to support the programming aspects of our robotics program.
About Tower Hill School
Tower Hill School is a coeducational private school for age 3 through Grade 12, dedicated to living our motto "Multa Bene Facta"- Many Things Done Well. With a beautiful 44-acre campus located in northwest Wilmington, Tower Hill has the reputation as one of the top academic schools in the region. Our unparalleled resources include excellent faculty, state-of-the-art facilities and individualized learning support.