Reports To: Director of the Center for Personalized Learning
When Needed: 2018–2019 Academic Year
Part-Time - .60 Employee with Potential to Go Full-Time in Future
“I’ve never felt so empowered.” -STS employee
Are you a dynamic, highly motivated professional that embraces innovation and longs to be part of a school that encourages thoughtful risk-taking, is open to new approaches to instruction, and is committed to your professional development? Do you want to shape tomorrow’s leaders by having the opportunity to play a role in determining the school’s climate and collaborate with colleagues to decide what and how you will teach?
If so, we have the perfect role for you!
We are seeking a talented, compassionate, and ambitious Faculty Associate committed to our mission of developing responsible citizens of a global society. This represents a remarkable opportunity! We’re looking for someone who can work effectively independently as well as part of a team. We need a leader who understands best practices in personalized learning, and who is passionate about working with students from preschool through 8th grade. If that sounds like you, we’d like to hear from you! You will support students, parents, and other community members in realizing our Guiding Principles and will abide by our Framework for Professional Standards.
Who We Are
Preschool – Eighth Grade
What We Offer
Robust Benefits Package
Professional Development Opportunities
Extraordinary Work Environment
St. Thomas School, one of the oldest independent schools on the east side of Lake Washington, is defined by a cognitively rigorous program with an emphasis on developing character, leadership, and a passion for learning and achievement. STS is a recognized leader in developing the whole student. Our core values include gratitude, responsibility, respect, courage, integrity, tolerance, compassion, perseverance, and generosity. STS serves over 330 students and boasts a 55,000 sq. ft. LEED Gold certified campus.
Under general supervision, Faculty Associates play a supportive, but integral role in personalizing learning at St. Thomas School. Faculty Associates create lessons and deliver direct instruction to flexible learning groups inside St. Thomas School classrooms, under the guidance and mentorship of the Director of the Center for Personalized Learning. Faculty Associates also help write, adjust, and update Personalized Learning Plans for our students. Faculty Associates support students, parents, and other community members in realizing our Guiding Principles, and abide by our Framework for Professional Standards.
Position Specific Responsibilities:
· Participates in training with the Director of the Center for Personalized Learning prior to the start of regular August professional development, and across the year
· Teaches flexible, small groups of students from preschool through 8th grade, meeting students’ strengths, interests, and needs in reading, writing and math
· Administers, scores and analyzes data from triannual student assessment periods, in partnership with the Director of the Center for Personalized Learning and grade-level teaching teams; this data serves as a foundation for small group instruction
· Writes, adjusts, and updates Personalized Learning Plans for our students, in partnership with the Director of the Center for Personalized Learning
· Performs duties, during school and after school, including assigned and fill-ins
· Stays abreast of current trends and best practices in specific instruction in reading, writing and math
· Vigorously engages in his/her own professional development
· Establishes and cultivates community relations by maintaining open and candid dialogue with all of the school’s constituencies
· Is familiar with and complies with all policies and regulations as put forth in the school’s documents
· Since safety and security are everyone’s responsibility, takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, faculty, staff, equipment, materials and facilities
· Performs other duties as assigned
Required Education & Experience:
· Bachelor’s Degree in Education or related field
· Two years of instructional experience in school environments; lead teaching experience is not required, but is also welcomed
· Experience teaching small groups
· Experience with student assessment
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
· Knowledge of best practices in teaching
· Knowledge of learning differences, assessment and remediation for those who have learning challenges
· Current knowledge of best practices in teaching reading
· Flexibility and adaptability to meet the needs of the children and program
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Ability to maintain confidential information
· Ability to work collaboratively in team situation
· Ability to work efficiently in a Microsoft Windows environment using Microsoft Office, master common automated systems for record keeping, and learn new technology
· Ability to sit and keyboard for several hours a day
· Ability to work and communicate well with all levels of faculty and staff
· Ability to work and communicate well with students and their parents
· Ability to work outside in all weather
· Ability to work long hours at times
· Ability to work some evenings and weekends
· Some travel (field trips)
If this sounds like you, please visit our website careers page at: www.stthomasschool.org/about/careers, follow the instructions to complete our online employment application. Thank you for your interest in St. Thomas School and this position.
Position open until filled. No phone calls or drop-ins please.
This description is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.
Additional Salary Information: Salary is competitive with public and independent schools. STS offers an excellent benefits package, opportunities for professional development, and an extraordinary work environment.
Internal Number: N/A
About St. Thomas School
St. Thomas School, a non-sectarian, Preschool through Eighth Grade school, is one of the oldest independent schools on the east side of Lake Washington. St. Thomas School’s educational journey is defined by a cognitively rigorous program with an emphasis on developing character, leadership, and a passion for learning and achievement. Our mission is to develop responsible citizens of a global society. STS is a recognized leader in developing the whole student. Our core values include gratitude, responsibility, respect, courage, integrity, tolerance, compassion, perseverance, and generosity. STS serves over 300 students and boasts a 55,000 sq. ft. LEED Gold certified campus.