At Catlin Gabel School, we have a clear vision: to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, stay and do their best work as educators. We pride ourselves on being a warm and welcoming community, and we know our school's success is due in large part to the hard work and dedication of our passionate employees.
Catlin Gabel's dedication to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is clearly reflected in our curriculum and in our mission. We are fully focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different. Applications are welcome from anyone and everyone.
TITLE: Development Director, Alumni ORGANIZATION: Catlin Gabel School REPORTS TO: Director of Advancement LOCATION: Portland, Oregon STATUS: Full-time, exempt position
POSITION SUMMARY As Catlin Gabel prepares to enter a comprehensive campaign, a talented and experienced fundraiser is needed to join a dynamic and collaborative Advancement team as the Development Director for Alumni.
The Development Director will provide the overall leadership for the Alumni Program at Catlin Gabel, to imagine, create, and execute a suite of alumni engagement programs and functions – all with the assistance of an Alumni Relations Manager.
The Development Director plays a critical role in Catlin Gabel’s efforts to secure resources for its strategic funding priorities and to deepen its relationships with alumni and friends of the school. In furtherance of the school’s strategic plan, the Development Director designs and implements strategies for increased engagement with the school’s current and prospective major donors. The Development Director creates and executes donor cultivation plans to leverage this historic time for Catlin Gabel and achieve the goals of an ambitious, comprehensive campaign plan.
The Development Director will report to the Director of Advancement, manage the Alumni Relations Manager, and build and manage a portfolio of 150 major gift prospects. He or she will lead the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of prospects targeted for gifts between $50,000 and $1,000,000. He or she will work closely with senior administrators, program directors and faculty to identify funding opportunities and develop prospect-to-donor strategies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES • Lead the Alumni Relations Program – create and implement a vision for alumni engagement, involvement, connection, and giving to meet goals set with the Director of Advancement.
• Lead the development of engagement and solicitation strategies for qualified major gift prospects (between $50,000 and $1,000,000); oversee the implementation and personally drive the execution of said strategies. This includes collaborating with division leaders, other advancement staff, faculty and program directors to develop multi-interest proposals and promote organized and strategic outreach to our donors.
• Secure and conduct personal face-to-face visits monthly to qualify, engage, solicit and steward the school’s major donors and prospects.
• Meet dollar and activity metrics as set with the Director of Advancement.
• Supervise the Alumni Relations Manager, and delegate responsibilities appropriately to meet the needs of the Alumni Board, and overall engagement and connection with Catlin Gabel’s alumni population.
• Produce well written, accurate and timely follow-up and related correspondence such as comprehensive proposals, related budgets, contact reports, cover and thank you letters, e-mails, reports, and briefings in support of cultivating, soliciting and stewarding assigned prospects and alumni relationships.
• Track and record activities as they relate to assigned prospects using the CRM database (Raiser’s Edge) constituent management software and report regularly to the Director of Advancement.
• Participate as an active member of the Advancement Department, sharing information and collaborating with colleagues in a respectful and professional manner; contributing to a healthy and positive work environment.
• 5-7 years of direct fundraising and alumni engagement experience.
• Demonstrated understanding of annual giving, major giving and alumni relations programs, with an emphasis on personal solicitations.
• Verifiable track record of soliciting individuals/organizations for financial investments and the ability to articulate and advocate a strong case for support.
• Must be a goal-oriented and self-motivated individual who can demonstrate accountability, initiative, creativity and focus in a rapidly changing and intellectually stimulating environment.
• Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate, build alliances, and achieve results within a population that may possess competing interests, opinions, and /or expectations.
• Demonstrate strong active listening skills and ability to negotiate positive outcomes.
• Demonstrate a level of comfort working and communicating with top executives, community leaders and/or school leadership. Ability to motivate, build long term relationships with and gain the respect of internal and external clients.
• Understanding and appreciation of the mission of Catlin Gabel and the vision and values of a progressive independent school.
• Positive attitude, sense of humor and flexibility.
• Excellent computer skills; proficiency in using advanced functions of word processing, Excel spreadsheets, PowerPoint, Google products (i.e., Google docs, Gmail, etc.) database and web resources. Knowledge of CRM database a plus. Willingness to learn new software if needed.
• Required to have a valid driver’s license and personal transportation vehicle available for frequent travel to business meetings (mileage is reimbursed under federal guidelines).
• Ability to work on the road and/or work at odd hours and on weekends
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY REQUIREMENTS This position requires frequent computer use, occasional lifting of up to 50 pounds, and periods of high physical activity during events. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE Applicants must submit a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for at least three professional references. This position is open until filled. No phone or email inquiries, please.
About Catlin Gabel School
Catlin Gabel School is a coeducational, independent day school located on 54 acres in the West Hills neighborhood of Portland, Oregon formed in 1957 by the merger of the Catlin Hillside School, which had been founded as Miss Catlin’s School in 1911, and the Gabel Country Day School, whose roots extend to 1859 with the founding of The Portland Academy. The campus itself is a former farm with beautiful trees, fields, and plantings that has been modernized and upgraded over the years with new and renovated buildings that blend in with the natural surroundings.
We offer a broad and challenging curriculum based on a progressive philosophy with small classes designed to educate the total person, incorporating the academic along with the arts, physical education, and a strong sense of community service. The school enrolls nearly 740 students in Pre-Kindergarten through twelfth grade and has 100 faculty members committed to diversity among students, faculty and staff. Catlin Gabel is an equal opportunity employer.