(Grade 6-12, IL 6 to IL 7)
The Physics Specialist is responsible for small group instruction, in-school tutoring and providing assistance in project design.
- Shape the Khan Lab School Physics program using best practices, based on experience and research
- Create a Scope and Sequence document for Physics
- Project Based Learning:
- Provide input into the design of experiential, project-based learning activities by using resources to create an experience that’s relevant
- Evaluate competencies in projects (e.g. cognitive skills and character strengths, global citizenship, creation, purpose and deeper learning competencies)
- Determine students’ academic learning objectives and ensure that they’re met
- Small Group Instruction & Tutoring: Provide individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student
- Curate individual learning activities for personalized learning goals
- Collect and use data to analyze student progress and group students dynamically to meet their needs; adjust instruction accordingly
- Create interim assessments to evaluate student progress. Share data with lead teachers/advisors
- Create and or implement an interdisciplinary and academically rigorous curriculum
- Communicate learning targets and outcomes to colleagues, parents, and students on a regular basis
- Commit to building a community of child-centered educators by mentoring other educators and making regular contributions to be shared publicly, including curriculum, best practices, research findings, etc.
- Collaborate with researchers, designers, technologists, and other educators to design and refine an innovative model for school education
- Have at least 4+ years experience teaching Physics
- Possess a Bachelor’s Degree a Master’s Degree in Education or equivalent
- Prior experience with demonstrated academic results
- Prior experience with or a desire to teach in a setting that values giving up control and allowing students to make mistakes and gain maturity and self-motivation through independence
- Passion for working with and engaging children in student-driven learning experiences
- Belief in fostering children’s social emotional capabilities
- Commitment to continuous improvement
- Entrepreneurial mindset and customer service orientation
- A LOT of flexibility. We are in startup mode, so every aspect of the Lab School is subject to change.
- Equal parts self-starter and team player
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
VERY NICE TO HAVES:
- MA in Physics
- A portfolio of project based learning and applied learning lessons across multiple domains
- Experience in a multicultural school environment
- Experience working with elementary through early middle school aged students
- Prior experience leading curriculum development
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
- 401(k) with matching
- Free lunch, coffee, and snacks
- Khan Lab School tuition discount
OTHER SCHOOL EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
All Khan Lab School employees must undergo criminal background checks and TB risk assessments as mandated by California state law prior to their start dates at Khan Lab School. By submitting an application, you acknowledge that your employment with Khan Lab School would be conditioned on satisfactory background check and completion of the TB risk assessment.
Please be aware that Khan Lab School is generally unable to offer original visa sponsorship at this time.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application. Please submit a cover letter that explains why you would be a great fit for this role along with your resume.