Direct Supervisor: Director of Business and Finance
Location: Lower School, Heinz Campus
Educational Requirement: Bachelor’s Degree in facilities management or related field preferred
Work Experience Requirement: 5 years (required)
Start date: December 2018
Application Deadline: November 19th, 2018
The Facilities Manager reports to the Director of Business and Finance, and serves on the Buildings and Grounds Committee of the Board of Trustees. The Facilities Manager is responsible for developing and maintaining the buildings and grounds in a manner, which is supportive of the school’s missions and goals. The Facilities Manager is considered a working foreman, with time devoted to contributing to short and long-term facility planning efforts, including oversight and implementation of construction projects.
- Directly supervises the maintenance and custodial staff, including training, job assignment, department organization, meeting with staff regularly and providing timely and effective performance evaluations and feedbacks. Establishes accountability measures, which will ensure that work is completed timely and in a satisfactory manner
- Is responsible for the general maintenance of the plant facilities. Regularly inspects all campuses, grounds and facilities for preventative plan of maintenance and to ensure that no safety hazards exist. Handles minor repairs on a priority basis
- Makes recommendations to the Director of Business and Finance for short and long term major repair or improvement needs. Helps develop and manages the budget for the school’s facilities. Assist the Director of Business and Finance with cost and budget control
- In conjunction with the Director of Business and Finance, acts as a resource for the Buildings and Grounds Committee of the Board of Trustees, bringing technical expertise, advice and experience
- Ensures that the School is accessible and in compliance with ADA, or that reasonable accommodations have been provided
- Help determine whether major and minor repairs, and enhancements should be completed in- house or by outside contractors. - Develops specifications with an architect and engineers as needed,
- Obtains outside bids, makes recommendations, and coordinates and controls outside contractors’ work to ensure compliance with initial needs, contractual agreements and budgets.
- Is responsible for the Maintenance and cleanliness of all vehicles, and for keeping vehicles records to assure maximum safety, longevity and condition of vehicles.
- Serves on the Health and Safety Committee, to participate in the development and implementation of safety, health and emergency policies and procedures.
- Coordinates and oversees campus security.
- Coordinates fire safety and burglar alarms and equipment.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable Federal, State and local environmental, health and safety regulations, including OSHA, EPA, DOT, MSDS etc.
- Coordinates, oversees and helps with facility set-ups and tear-downs for meetings and special events.
- Performs physical inventories.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Head of School and/or the Director of Business and Finance.
- A few times a year, works a non-standard work schedule that include evenings, weekends to assist with school events.
Job Qualifications and personal skills
- Has 5+ years experience maintaining physical plants, a thorough knowledge of building and is conversant in mechanical systems and landscaping maintenance.
- Has demonstrated expertise in managing and supervising personnel, in prioritizing and delegating duties to a work crew.
- Has project management experience, is capable of balancing in-house maintenance responsibilities with capital improvement projects.
- Has strong interpersonal and communication skills in one-on-one and group settings, is a team player, enjoys problem solving
- Has excellent organizational skills, is computer literate (spreadsheets, e-mail, Internet, Word processing), can read construction drawings and communicate with architects/engineers/public agencies, can interact professionally with building contractors. Proficiency with Gantt charts a plus.
- Is detail and quality oriented, and dedicated to complete follow-through.
- Is conversant with applicable environmental, health and safety regulations.
- Is conversant in energy-efficiency applications, recycling, composting, long-term greening initiatives.
- Spanish and French language skills a plus.
- Is available to work weekends and evenings when needed.
- Must possess and maintain a valid California Driver's License.
- Background check required.
- Position requires repeated movement (walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, climbing, lifting etc…) operating and maintaining construction tools and equipment.
- Position requires the ability to safely lift and carry a minimum of 60 pounds on a regular basis and up to 100 pounds on occasions.
- Position may require wearing protective clothing and equipment for extended periods of time.
- May work under noisy conditions.
The above responsibilities are subject to the general duties and responsibilities contained in the Employee’s Handbook. This job description allocates duties and responsibilities but does not direct the particular amount of time to be spent carrying them out and no part of it may be so construed. This job description is not necessarily a comprehensive definition of the post. It may be subject to modification or amendment at any time after consultation with the holder of the post.
Application Process and Required documents:
In order to complete the application process, interested candidates must provide the following documentation by November 19th 2018.
· A resume
· A cover letter
· A completed and signed EB job application, which requires a minimum of three references (name, address, phone number and email address). The application can be found at www.eb.org
All inquiries and nominations are kept confidential. Please send the documentation to email@example.com (Attn: Antoine Portales, Director of Business and Finance) - please mention “Facilities Manager” in the subject line - No phone calls please.
You may visit our website at www.eb.org to learn more about our school and programs.
Ecole Bilingue de Berkeley
EB has a long history of excellence in bilingual education in the Bay Area. Founded in 1977, it has become the educational model that blends the best of French and American curricula. Spanning preschool through eighth grade, and representing more than 50 nationalities, EB students are able to flourish within a vibrant and diverse community. Supported and nourished by an exceptional faculty and staff, as well as a dynamic parent body, our students are well prepared to take their place in today’s world.
Ecole Bilingue de Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate against any applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, veteran status, generic information or any protected class prohibited by law.
About ECOLE BILINGUE DE BERKELEY
Ecole Bilingue de Berkeley is a French-American bilingual school, CAIS-accredited, PK through 8th grade, located in Berkeley, CA (East Bay of San Francisco).