The Bolles School in Jacksonville, Florida is seeking an Assistant Director of College Counseling to serve on a team of four college counselors and one Administrative Assistant. The ideal candidate will have experience in either highly selective college admissions or independent school college counseling and will be philosophically committed to helping students find the proper college match based on their individual talents, skills, and values. Bolles is an independent, co-educational day and boarding school founded in 1933 and beautifully situated on the banks of the St. Johns River in the heart of the Jacksonville metropolitan area. One of the most ethnically and religiously diverse independent schools in the Southeast, Bolles enrolls nearly 1700 students in grades pre-K through 12 and is known for its rigorous academic, nationally acclaimed athletic, and outstanding arts programs. A strong Honor Code sets the tone for campus life, and a robust financial aid budget ensures that a broad spectrum of students has access to a Bolles education. Seventy percent of our students leave the state of Florida for their college education, and last year’s graduating class of 190 students attended 94 different colleges and universities across the U.S. and abroad.
Position Purpose: Each College Counselor is responsible for supervising all aspects of the college search and application process and serves as academic advisor to 50-55 seniors. This is an 11-month position reporting to the Director of College Counseling.
* Work intensively and collaboratively with students and families, welcoming conversations and encouraging interaction among students, parents, and the college counseling office
* Guide students through all aspects of the college exploration and application process, including writing letters of recommendation for a caseload of 50-55 students
* Monitor students’ academic and personal progress; communicate with parents as necessary
* Help lead parent and student education programs, along with other members of the College Counseling Office
* Maintain up-to-date knowledge of current trends in the field of college admission
* Create and maintain professional relationships with college admission officers
* Actively participate in local and national associations; participate in college tours and network with colleagues in college admission counseling
* Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university is required; Master’s degree preferred
* Previous college admission, advising, and/or independent secondary school experience preferred
* Broad knowledge of colleges and universities across the U.S.
* Commitment to guiding students with a wide variety of academic and extra-curricular interests and abilities
* Excellent writing skills
* Strong organizational and planning skills
* Strong public speaking skills in order to participate in presentations to students, parents, and colleagues
* Demonstrate and enthusiastically support the School’s Mission
* Perform in a manner that reflects positively on The Bolles School
* Communicate well, work congenially, and deal effectively with all school personnel and families, as well as with the larger business and educational community
* Perform other duties as requested
Internal Number: 12666
About The Bolles School
The Bolles School is a nationally renowned, independent day and boarding School serving over 1,600 students in Pre-K through grade 12 on four campuses in Jacksonville and surrounding communities. A leader in academics, arts, and athletics, the School is firmly rooted in the principles that have characterized its community and traditions for nearly 85 years: pursuing excellence through courage, integrity, and compassion. The vast resources and expert instruction available to students as they explore and hone their individual interests and strengths are embodied in the School’s motto -- All Things Possible -- and students eagerly embrace the myriad of opportunities available to them both in and out of the classroom.