The Director of Education and Innovation will lead the development, design and sales of a full portfolio of HIOBS educational products for a broad spectrum of potential group and individual clients. The Director is responsible for managing a team that executes the entire lifecycle of educational programs, including; product design, sales generation, proposals and contracting, program operations and safety, and client relationship continuity. This position works closely with the Executive Director, Director of Marketing, and the HIOBS Program Operations Team to create new educational products for groups and individuals; building the HIOBS brand and revenue opportunities through connecting our HIOBS' philosophy, methods and experience with clients’ desires for team and leadership development programs.
Success for this person will be defined by revenue and margin growth within the HIOBS group and individual education market segment.
The successful candidate will be a dynamic, organized, results oriented person who can articulate the mission and passion of Outward Bound in person and in writing. They will be excited about working in a dynamic, hands-on organization who truly “walks the talk” when it comes to changing lives through challenge and discovery. And they will love getting out of the office for a wilderness adventure every once in a while!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Responsible for achieving annual revenue goals for educational programs by identifying and selling to clients in the pre-secondary (middle school), secondary and post secondary educational market place.
· Write and deliver sales proposals, conduct sales meetings/presentations to prospective clients, and manage the development and execution of client contracts.
· Using a consultative sales approach, partner with clients to design tailored educational solutions for them using Outward Bound’s character education methodology and curriculum development tools.
· Establish and build relationships with marketing partners, vendors and strategic alliances with schools, universities and youth serving organizations.
· Nurture existing clients to maximize repeat business.
· Utilize rigorous sales pipeline management tools and regularly report progress to Executive Director.
· Manage the Program Operations team to deliver programs with appropriate scope of deliverables, and with industry leading levels of quality and safety.
· Engage the HIOBS Board, Council, and partner contacts (alumni and extended HIOBS community) and others to maximize business development efforts.
· Represent Outward Bound to clients and the “Education Community” with the highest degree of integrity and consistent with the HIOBS mission and brand positioning.
· Ensure the program operations and staff development teams are aligned and executing on trends and opportunities pertaining to sales and marketing data and ensure successful program delivery by aligning delivery assets to client outcomes.
· Establish and maintain relationships with regional education sector influencers and key strategic partners, and leverage relationships with boards and board committees to maximize team results.
· Frequent travel (up to 40-50%) and on occasion irregular and long hours can be expected.
· Creates new Intellectual Capital in areas of HIOBS program design and activities.
· Contributes to professional development of peers through learning sessions, sharing best practices, and mentoring.
· Other duties as assigned.
Safety and Risk Management
· Coordinates with the HIOBS Safety Director to ensure that risk assessment and mitigation steps -are in place for all novel programming.
· Consistently role model best practices of safety attentiveness and self-care.
· Participate in routine on-call and Critical Incident response systems
Knowledge and Skills
· Strong product line management experience including responsibility for delivering against top and bottom line financial goals.
· Strong team leadership skills. Ability to expand existing operating paradigms that lead to innovation and mission growth.
· Excellent client/student service perspective and orientation.
· Able to prioritize and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
· Time management and ability to meet deadlines and business development and operational targets.
· Highly effective communicator, both written and oral.
· Proficient with PC/Mac in Office® products: Word®, Excel®, Outlook®, and PowerPoint®.
· Ambitious in setting appointments and delivering mission/message.
· Sense of humor, positive attitude.
· Familiarity of OB programs and philosophy is desirable.
Education and Work Experience
· 5+ years management experience in traditional or experiential education preferably in the secondary or post secondary level.
· 3+ years of direct business development experience or professional experience in assisting a consultative business development process.
· A bachelors degree or higher is preferred.
Additional Salary Information: This is a full-time, benefit eligible position. Commission eligible.
About Hurricane Island Outward Bound School
Outward Bound is a non-profit adventure-based educational organization with programs that inspire self-discovery and character development and builds self-confidence and essential teamwork and leadership skills. Outward Bound’s mission is to change lives through challenge and discovery.
The Hurricane Island Outward Bound School (HIOBS) operates extended wilderness courses in Maine, Florida, Bahamas, and Central and South America. As one of 11 independent Outward Bound Schools in the US, HIOBS represents one of the top educational brands in the nation. In 2014 HIOBS celebrated 50 years of dynamic programming in the United States.