Oversees and carries out the essential operations of the theater and scene shop. Provides support to administration, faculty, students and community constituents in sound, lighting, and stage modifications and provide technical direction for events in the Theater and Performing Arts Building. Provides technical stage and backstage support for both amateur and professional events. Manages the technical aspects and daily operations of theatrical facilities including event load-ins, set-ups, strikes, and use of the facility's sound, lighting, stage, projection and other technical equipment and systems. Executes lighting, sound and scenic designs and clarify, troubleshoot and estimate preliminary designs from student or faculty designer plans and models. Creates structural designs, specify construction methods, and coordinate with staff involved in set, scenery and prop construction. Develops implements and monitors policies to ensure safe work practices and environment in the scene shop, backstage and stage areas. Interacts with facility users in the planning coordination and execution of programs, services and events. Provides projected technical costs for events, and administer labor, equipment and supply budgets.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Assists the Director with activities including, but not limited to: scheduling, administering and supervising technical theater activities which support the events and instruction in the Arts Department and Arts Institute.
2. Provides technical instruction regarding theatre use, sound, lighting and theatrical properties to facility patrons.
3. Ensures all lighting and sound equipment is secure and maintained.
4. Ensures all tools and supplies in the scene shop are secure and maintained.
5. Oversees all the elements of technical production related to the safe and proper use of all equipment related to the Theater and Performing Arts Building.
6. Oversees the procurement of all materials, including lumber, paint and necessary supplies related to the construction of scenic elements for all theatrical productions.
7. Designs and oversees the construction and repair of scenic pieces.
8. Coordinates with the Performing Arts Department and all Division of University School to provide technical support for all concerts, productions, assemblies, events in the Epstein Center.
9. Coordinates and oversee the load in and strike of all theatrical productions.
10. Perform other duties as assigned.
Marginal Job Functions:
1. Assists in the video-taping of events, as requested by patrons.
2. Provides technical support for sound and lighting to University School Administrators in venues throughout three divisions.